Ladder code shown in STL

userxyz

Hi,

Anyone know why this network is not longer shown in LAD format but only in STL ?

Code:
      O     "RB 20878".EinfV
      O     "RB 20878".EinfR
      O     "2+A27-228S10"
      O     "GROEP 2".HM_GruppeA.SLT
      O     
      A(    
      A     "2+A27-228S12"
      A(    
      O(    
      A     "Re-Read"
      L     S5T#5S
      SD    T    154
      NOP   0
      NOP   0
      NOP   0
      A     T    154
      )     
      O     
      A     "Kamera aktief"
      A     "Measure IO"
      ON    "Kamera aktief"
      )     
      S     "Vrijgave +E5"
      AN    "RB 20878".Antrieb_belegt
      R     "Vrijgave +E5"
      A     "Vrijgave +E5"
      )     
      A     "Takt.3"
      =     "2+A27-228H12"

That is a good example of a confusing STL network.
I avoid STL whenever possible for exactly this reason.
All of these brackets makes me loose the grasp of the logic halfway through.

If you know how the code is supposed to work, rewrite it in LAD.
If you are curious, when done writing the logic in LAD, switch to STL and see where is the difference.

originally

Hi Jesper,

Originally this was Ladder, but someone did a view in STL and then back in LAD and this network doesn't want to convert anymore while all others have no issues when changing the language.

And I agree that STL is not the way for combinatorial logic :).

Yeah indeed, I will need to rewrite the logic in LAD and the convert to STL to see if it's the same code,
Thanks,

Kind regards,
Combo

That is a good example of a confusing STL network.
I avoid STL whenever possible for exactly this reason.
All of these brackets makes me loose the grasp of the logic halfway through.

If you know how the code is supposed to work, rewrite it in LAD.
If you are curious, when done writing the logic in LAD, switch to STL and see where is the difference.

Possibly, the problem is that the network is too complex.
I think that you can split it in the middle, after the timer.

Post a screenshot from one of the other PCs where the network displays in LAD.

Hi Jesper,

Originally this was Ladder, but someone did a view in STL and then back in LAD and this network doesn't want to convert anymore while all others have no issues when changing the language.

Sorry, but this doesn't seem to be converted Ladder into STL.

My strategy to understand what it was doing was to look at the end of the bracket if it was the intended result I needed out of that section and look in... but even then it's a mess.

Interestingly, I worked in a company that had massive flame wars between STL and FBD. Both sides were fundamentalist idiots and as such created abominable code for this same reason.

Can't create it in LAD. Not in the sequence show here. This code has been modified in STL. The placement of the timer is incorrect and cannot be done in LAD.

That being said, this is improper programming. Shouldn't start a network with an O statement. RLO doesn't care about network limits.

As for STL vs LAD vs FBD: Learn all. Use where needed. Don't limit yourself.

As Jeebs says, this cannot be done in Siemens ladder (forgive the artistic licence with symbols as I didn't create any DBs)

implad.jpg

Please tell me that's done in MSPaint. Cuz my editor flatout refuses to put the timer there when the SR is present. If I put the timer before creating the parallel branches it refuses to connect before the SR.

Well I could have used the impossible ladder logic option, but used paint instead. :)

imp.jpg

Last edited:
This is why I ask about screenshots of the original LAD code.
Does this not mean that the code in question displays OK on other PCs ?
Or do you really mean that code displayed OK originally, but after some change it does not display OK ?
If so, please show us the original code (in LAD !), and describe what the code change was supposed to do.