SQL Data ito RSView32

Erik vdH

Hi,

What is the best method of getting data from an SQL Server into RSView32 tags? I got one real time aquisition system putting data in the server and I want it to be available on the SCADA system. Can it be done directly, or do I need some sort of SQL to OPC software?

thx

Depending on the amount of data and how you want to present it, the most cost effective is to use VBA scripting. There are some examples in the knowledgebase. I'll look and see if I can find the links.

Darren

VBA would certainly be the "cost effective" way - particularly if you don't value your time. Seek sample code if you go that route.

I think that this feature of OPC Datahub from Software Toolbox would solve your problem. I've never used the package, but they're good guys. It looks to do exactly what you need by encapsulating an ODBC connection in an OPC server. On the View end you just point the tag to the OPC server in the tag dictionary. I'm not sure on the mechanics of setting up your query, though. Call Software Toolbox. They'll help you.

dash said:
Depending on the amount of data and how you want to present it, the most cost effective is to use VBA scripting. There are some examples in the knowledgebase. I'll look and see if I can find the links.

Darren

Thanks surferb. I agree with your comments about VBA! I'll look into the Software Toolbox. Kepware also have a product to connect to ODBC - I'll look at that as well.

No problem. Kepware is a great company too - I've dealt with both numerous times. Either of the two will answer your questions accurately and honestly if you give them a call.

Erik vdH said:
Thanks surferb. I agree with your comments about VBA! I'll look into the Software Toolbox. Kepware also have a product to connect to ODBC - I'll look at that as well.

Oh, good call. Going with the builtin way first always makes the most sense.
Derek McFarland said:
Check the Rockwell knowlede base techID A1925. It has detials on the RSview32 ODBC utilty.

To use an Americanism VBA is a "No Brainer". It is free, requires minimal coding and uses ADO so there is not even a need to set up data sources. There are good examples on the Rockwell Knowledge Base and I would recommend that you look at these before you go any further. If you can get past the irrational fear of VBA that many RSView32 users seem to have I am sure that you will not have a problem with this. If you run into a problem then I am sure the people on this forum would be happy to help.

Andybr