Need advice on Serial connection

zqew05

I bought a brand new laptop that do not have a serial connection. I have several programs that need a serial connection especially my DETRONICS Fire & Gas detection program. I also have an AB 1747-PIC that uses serial. I don't know which one works with the PIC: a) A PCMCIA serial card or... b) a USB-to-serial cable. Any advise?

A USB-serial adapter will NOT work with the PIC. It might work with a PCMCIA card. You could also get an AB 1747-UIC (<--link) to replace the PIC. Still waiting for mine to arrive... :rolleyes:

I don't what will work with your DETRONICS stuff... :confused:

You are not alone. Have a look at this recent thread HERE.

beerchug

-Eric

I was told most of my non-AB stuff will work USB-serial but if I can buy just one item instead of a jumble of devices, it cuts down on my expenses

I haven't had luck with any Mitsubishi stuff yet (as I stated in Norm's thread).

I am hoping the 1747-UIC can be used with non-AB stuff (IOW, emulate a good ol' REAL serial port). Even though it wasn't too expensive, I'd hate to have it ONLY replace the PIC for me. I can't test this theory until I receive it though... :(

You can be sure I'll post the results (good OR bad) here!... :site:

beerchug

-Eric

When my A-B salesman asked me (a couple of years ago) what I'd pay for a USB version of the 1747-PIC, I said "no more than I'd pay for a PIC now.". Guess what ? The USB version, 1747-PIC, costs EXACTLY the same as the 1747-PIC and does EXACTLY the same thing, except with USB.

My toolkit today consists of a 1784-PCMK/B and 1784-PCM5 for Data Highway Plus, a 1784-PCM4 for DH485 (because I don't need the 1747-UIC) and a Keyspan U19 for everything else I want to access via USB. I have a 1747-UIC but it gets loaned out a lot to my co-workers because I have the big 1747-PCMK with all of it's capabilities.

DETRONICS seems to know their way around serial comms; buy a Keyspan U19 and you should be set for most of the general-purpose non-deterministic RS232 protocols (i.e. not MPI or Profibus or DH485), including Detronics.

Eddie Willers said:
When my A-B salesman asked me (a couple of years ago) what I'd pay for a USB version of the 1747-PIC, I said "no more than I'd pay for a PIC now.". Guess what ? The USB version, 1747-PIC, costs EXACTLY the same as the 1747-PIC and does EXACTLY the same thing, except with USB.

Eddie, why didn't you say half the price???
beerchug

I have been having some problems with USB converters and XP from time to time. Particularly with older PLCs.
I recently obtained an Omron USB/serial converter and have found that sites where I was having problems no longer give problems. I guess they understand PLCs and probably have a more industially oriented driver and module.
The othe thing I like about the device is TRANSMIT and RECEIVE lights. At last a USB converter where you can see what is going on.
beerchug

I use the Keyspan Qi19 model, too. A-B recommends them and I use them for door prizes at seminars.

I love that it supports the "Autoconfig" feature in RSLinx.

It also comes with a "USB Adapter Assistant" program that loads unobtrusively onto your computer.

It's a very complete little utility. You can view, change, and delete the port mappings, change the buffer controls... all kinds of goodies that make you feel like you're using a solid product that it's makers understand.

It also includes a data monitor, that I can use as a quick and dirty way to snoop on Modbus or DF1 serial protocols being sent from the computer over RS232.

Last edited:
Eric Nelson said:
I am hoping the 1747-UIC can be used with non-AB stuff (IOW, emulate a good ol' REAL serial port). Even though it wasn't too expensive, I'd hate to have it ONLY replace the PIC for me.

But it looks like that's gonna be the case... :(

I received my UIC today, and did a quick test on a Beijer HMI and FX PLC. Although the software now SEES the COM port (no "Can't Open Port" error), it still doesn't work. It just times out as if the cable wasn't connected... :sick:

The manual doesn't explain these 'advanced' settings:
[attachment]
Anyone know if 'tweaking' something here might help?... :confused:

Since it wasn't the serial port panacea I was hoping for, buying the UIC was a slight waste of money for me. I can connect to DF1 devices with my current USB adapter. I very rarely need a DH485 connection (I have exactly ONE SLC500 on our production floor). Oh well... At least now I CAN use my laptop with it, and retiring the PIC DOES free up some room in my laptop bag!... (y)

I think I'll go grab one of those Keyspan units tomorrow to try. Their new 19HS model supposedly replaces the earlier versions. They're cheap enough that I won't be upset if it doesn't work. Worst case is I'll have a second serial port for the stuff it DOES work with... :p

beerchug

-Eric

P.S. to BobB... Are you referring to the Omron K3SC Converter ?

usbadvanced.jpg

No Eric, although it looks like it may be very usefull sometimes. I was referring to the CS1W-CIF31.
I have also found that disabling the internal modem in Device Manager oftens helps. This is particularly the case with CX-Programmer running toolbus at 155k baud. CX-Programmer often tends to pick up the modem as the com port if it is not disabled.
beerchug

Last edited:
Thanks, Bob. A Google search for that part number only gets my Japanese links, and a search at Omron's 'down-under' site (www.omron.com.au) comes up dry. Is it a 'genuine' Omron item, or just brand-labeled by them?

beerchug

-Eric

To get more details on COM port setting go to www.ftdichip.com

1747-UIC uses their USB chip, so all details are there.
Also you can download the latest USB driver for PIC from the same site.

USB to serial

I have use USB to serail(ATEN) for note book connect with PLC Siemens
and also Mitsubishi FX & A series as well.
In your case ,I think may be work..

Platootod :D
Mechatronics RIT.Nonthaburi