ControlLogix and Quickpanel Communication

Eric S

I have read the various threads on ControlLogix to Quickpanel communications, but unfortunately I have not been able to make my current configuration work.

I have 4 ControlLogix chassis (A, B, C, and D)communicating over ControlNet. A and B contain the redundant ControlLogix PLCs, SRMs, and the ControlNet modules. C contains a ControlNet module and a DHRIO module. D contains the ControlNet module and regular I/O modules. Everything except the Quickpanel is communicating normally.

Using channel A of the DHRIO module, I am trying use DH+ to communicate with a Quickpanel. The biggest problem I am having is getting the Quickpanel to communicate with the PLC. It seems like the Quickpanel 'sees' the DHRIO, and the DHRIO 'sees' the Quickpanel. However, I can not seem to get the DHRIO routing table correct to have channel A of the DHRIO 'point' directly at the processor.

My main question is has anyone successfully implemented a system similar to this one? Any insight would be appreciated?

Thank you in advance for your time.

If the quickpanel is the only device on Channel A then dont use the Routing table as the communication path. Use the Browse function and choose the DH/RIO module in the Contrologix I/O Configuration tree. The DH/RIO module must have been given a name when entered into the I/O configuration for it to work.

If you already tried routing table and PLC5 message mapping in CLX, you should try to contact TCP to see if they have a ControlLogix example.
I don't think A-B will know QuickPanel;

I recently started a project using a CLX DHRIO module communicating to a PanelView and had the same problem. As I remember there is a DHRIO module configuration value that specifies the slot of the controller. My case was pretty easy as the processor was in the same rack as my DHRIO card so the slot number was just that, a number. I don't know how you would specify that same thing with the DHRIO remote from the plc. I suspect it is in a CIP routing format.
I'm at home and don't have access to any of this info but AB has a CIP routing primer on their website that might come in handy.

I just re-read your post and saw you are using DH+ to communicate. I am using RIO so this may not apply.

Keith

Thanks to all that have responded to this question, I just wanted to provide a quick update.

As it turns out, Quickpanel does not do remote messaging. Remote messaging is needed to communicate over the redundant ControlNet in the redundant ControlLogix PLC system. The DHRIO card is just a dummy card and does not route messages on its own (even with the routing table defined). This means that the routing (pathing) information is provided by the target device, in this case the Quickpanel.

Therefore, unless you can find a different way to get the Quickpanel to 'see' the processor over the ControlNet, I do not believe that the original set-up is possible.

As a work around, we installed another ControlLogix processor in the same rack with the DHRIO card. Using some message instructions, Produced, and Consumed tags, we were able to communicate from the redundant processors to the Quickpanel and vice-versa.

Our ultimate solution is to replace the Quickpanel with a ControlNet Panelview Plus.