Almost there Messaging Bits

showshocka

Hello. I am trying to receive upstream PLC to PLC comms data. The Messaging command has been previously set up and working. I am just trying to add another bit for more talking between the 2 PLCs. I am attempting to talk from upstream sender 1756 to downstream receiver 1769 processor, which shouldn't be a problem because like I have mentioned, the upstream PLC is already talking down stream between the two with 3 BOOLs within a DINT ARRAY.

So, I have created my bit with no problems, then, go to Test it, and nothing. If I had to download this to the processor which I am thinking I have to do , should not it have let me even make it to Verifying, Accepting and Testing my bit? Or am I missing a whole chunk of the process? Thanks.

PLC to PLC messaging.jpg

It looks like for the first alias tag, the photoshopped CC1 has more white space either side of it than the photoshopped CC1 on the second alias tag. If I was guessing, I'd say that's because the two tags beneath it are different. Like a typo?

Side by side for comparison

Screenshot_20200813-221722.png

Last edited:
The fact that an MSG and an AOI that contains that MSG are involved raises some eyebrows, but my basic understanding is that you created a BOOL tag that is an Alias to a bit inside an existing DINT tag, which is itself inside a user-defined data type.

Pasting names onto things to redact their true names does make it a little more difficult to read.

Can you "poke" a value into the base tag when the MSG is not running, to see if it is reflected in the Alias tag ?

Did you create the Alias tag before you edited the rung, or did Studio 5000 prompt you to do so when you entered the new tag name when adding a new XIC to that rung ?

...but my basic understanding is that you created a BOOL tag that is an Alias to a bit inside an existing DINT tag, which is itself inside a user-defined data type.

not quite, the Dint is in the Controller Scope

Did you create the Alias tag before you edited the rung, or did Studio 5000 prompt you to do so when you entered the new tag name when adding a new XIC to that rung ?

The Latter. I added the XIC named it the Exact BOOL tag name is it in the upstream PLC. I then selected "Alias for" and navigated to the pick the BOOL with in the same existing DINT as CC1_DATA_BUFF[2].7 ...[2]8 AND [2].9 are located. I selected unused BOOL [2].10

not quite, the Dint is in the Controller Scope

?

Who said anything about scope?

I can see two possible issues -

First, the upstream bit you are trying to look at is not being mapped into the data that is being read out. I'm assuming your pics are of the downstream PLC; have you made any changes to the upstream PLC? Is the tag in question (MTR_A_AUX?) aliased in the upstream PLC? Or used as an XIC for an OTE address in the CC1_DATA array?

Second, the AOI is doing something other than simply mapping the raw data into the buffer. Can't troubleshoot that without knowing more about the internal AOI logic.

?

Who said anything about scope?

...Still learning. I'm trying. Thanks

I can see two possible issues -

First, the upstream bit you are trying to look at is not being mapped into the data that is being read out. I'm assuming your pics are of the downstream PLC;
Yes of the downstream PLC

have you made any changes to the upstream PLC? Is the tag in question (MTR_A_AUX?) aliased in the upstream PLC? Or used as an XIC for an OTE address in the CC1_DATA array?

Yes, The tag in Question is MTR_A_AUX. It's a BOOL upstream, as the other 3 are BOOLs upstream and are toggled, working downstream. I made no changes to the upstream PLC.

I have in the the meanwhile used an MSG read instruction in the downstream PLC to do what I needed, using an upstream PLC DINT to a downstream PLC DINT in the MSG command.

What I was initially attempting to do was not add more logic and utilizing what was currently written in, just adding to it. Still, and with help here, I would like to master solving this issue I have posted as much as I can, what portion of it I am able to post.

Second, the AOI is doing something other than simply mapping the raw data into the buffer. Can't troubleshoot that without knowing more about the internal AOI logic.

I see now other insistence's of the other 3 working BOOLs in the downstream PLC to even look further into to find how they are working.