symbol scanner and ab basic module

Paul Eagen

Trying to connect symbol scanner to AB basic module. We have been using intermec scanner for years with the basic module, but now want to change.
Using standard rs232 com. Symbol scanner sees barcode but i get nothing in the m file. any suggestions. thanks

Welcome to the Forum !

The Symbol brand scanner probably uses a different serial protocol than the Intermec scanner.

If it's just sending ASCII characters equivalent to the barcode, maybe it's using a different data rate or serial framing or termination character.

You're probably going to have to re-write or modify the BASIC program to accommodate those differences.

Start by getting serial protocol information for your two models of scanner, and LIST the program on the BASIC module so you'll know what it does.

Since you mentioned M-Files, you must be using an SLC-500 family controller and a 1746-BAS module.

The User Manuals can be found on the literature.rockwellautomation.com website; use the keyword 1746-BAS.

Thanks Ken

I have set the RS 232 parameters to the same as the old scanner. I really can't change the program of the basic module because the logic in the slc has alot of code that has to do with the length and the specific characters that come from the scanner. I am not very familiar with the basic language but i have the program and i will find out what it does to see if that is the problem. Thank You

Use a terminal program

I suspect you need to configure the new Symbol scanner to add CR and LF.

If you don't want to modify the AB Basic, then the burden lies on the scanner to behave as the previous Intermec.

Connect the Intermec scanner to your PC using HyperTerminal or SeeIt. Scan you label to determine the exact format. I suspect you will see each label on a new line. CR LF appended to label data.

The Symbol default will not include the CR and LF. The Symbol can easily include the CR LF by scanning the setup bar cades on the quick-start to include. Look for DATA SUFFIX

Thanks,

I tried that, but still no luck. The setup for the symbol scanner is not the same as the intermec, maybe just different words. Plus there are alot more things to setup on the symbol. But I setup a test station in the shop to try things out, so i will try more tommorrow.

Symbol PL470 wireless barcode scanner as a keyboard when the base station is plugged in via USB, but it is not able to understand it. There is a specific trick involved in getting the input to match up. I use the scanner mainly to input bar codes into Delicious Library (and Delicious Library will crash if the input is not valid!).