Detection system for pipes

Prince

Regarding a project, I am to identify different pipes from each other and save the test reports in a database.

For now, we are using a semi-Automatic system in which the system guesses the pipe number for the pipe being tested at each station and an operator check the number with the number written on the pipe wall then he has the ability to confirm or edit the number.

We found that It would be a deal of luck if we can initialize a system to detect the pipe number without the need for an operaor supervsion.for that we need a detection system capable of identifying the number of a pipe. We can not use the normal bar code system cause the pipes rotates and move a lot in conveyors. so it would be hard to find the place that the pipe has been marked on.

I wondered if somebody had the same problem and can suggest me a way out of the mess.

You indicated multiple test stations. Do all pipes go through all test stations in sequence? Is there only one single path for all pipes?

Apparently, a number is applied... somewhere... certainly somewhere upline.

What is the rational behind the numbers applied?

Is it simply a case that the first pipe of the shift is numbered as "1", followed by 2, 3, ... etc?

What is the maximum number of pipes that might go through the system in a shift or a day or whatever time segment you use?

One way or another, the PLC has be made aware of the "numbers".

I should think that numbers could be entered into a WORD shift register at the beginning of the line. Then the pipes are tracked as they move through the system.

You could still write numbers on the pipe until such point that you have confidence in the operation of the shift register.

One way might be something like the following...
(this is kinda crude...)

There would have to be a "SET" of WORD shift registers.

Registers -1X carry the ID numbers through the process.

TEST-A TEST-B TEST-C TEST-D
+-------+ +--------+ +--------+ +--------+ +--------+
| ENTRY |-> | Reg-1A |-> | Reg-1B |-> | Reg-1C |-> | Reg-1D |
+-------+ +--------+ +--------+ +--------+ +--------+

Register-1A contains the backlog of pipes waiting to be tested at Station-A.
Register-1B contains the backlog of pipes waiting to be tested at Station-B.
Et cetera.

The result of Test-A is loaded into TEST-A and then the Pipe Number in REG-1A is shift to the next available slot (backfill) in REG-2B. At the same time, the result stored in TEST-A is shifted into the corresponding slot in REG-2B.

Registers -2X, -3X and -4X carry test results forward to the end of the process. At the end of the process all data associated with the particular pipe number is recorded by pipe number.

+--------+ +--------+ +--------+ +--------+
| TEST-A |-> | Reg-2B |-> | Reg-2C |-> | Reg-2D |
+--------+ +--------+ +--------+ +--------+

+--------+ +--------+ +--------+
| TEST-B |-> | Reg-3C |-> | Reg-3D |
+--------+ +--------+ +--------+

+--------+ +--------+
| TEST-C |-> | Reg-4D |
+--------+ +--------+

+--------+
| TEST-D |
+--------+

Alternatively, when a pipe number is entered, the corresponding final register entry is created. The final register has additional memory for each test station. As each pipe is tested, the result is written directly to the appropriate location in the corresponding final register. When the pipe reaches the end of the process the pipe number and associated data is off-loaded to some storage place.

FINAL REGISTER ARRAY

+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
| PIPE 1 | TEST-A | TEST-B | TEST-C | TEST-D |
| PIPE 2 | TEST-A | TEST-B | TEST-C | TEST-D |
| PIPE 3 | TEST-A | TEST-B | TEST-C | TEST-D |

There are many ways to do this... some easier than others, some more efficient although more complicated...

Indirect Addressing provides one means to accomplish this efficiently.

It might be easier to help you if you provided answers to my questions above plus any other details that might cause complications.

Thanks for help

Dear Derek Thanks for help but I do not know RFID can you help me more telling me what is that (Does it have sth with radio ?) . Or if you can help me with a company name.

Dear Terry Your answers are always helping novices like me. thanks for your complete discription. That is exactly the system I am working on, for the first phase; Just a little differnce. But the prob is that I do not have one way some pipes must be rejected from the system or go out for other tests. I am worried that the system lose track of the pipes and then start a never ending mess.

Last edited:
Good application, consider that they are pipes in a parallel row.

Rings - Markings in form of ring.
It can rings grouping, a group of sensors in position sets, for we read a marking spaced out and codification in binary.
Diameter - Is dislocated, parallel to the diameter adds label in the mouth.

Describe the system application is interesting.

So Prince...

Are you saying that pipes leave the line for testing?

Are they removed & replaced by hand, or automatically?

In either case, is the order maintained?

Can you answer these questions and the questions at the top of my first post?

IF pipes are removed and returned to the line through automatic means, and IF the order is maintained... then... unless you have information that you haven't shared as of yet (please answer the questions)... I believe that very reliable tracking can be accomplished.

It would be handled through multiple Shift Registers.

If test results are simply pass/no-pass then that information can be carried by Bit Registers.

If test results are recorded as numeric values then that information needs to be saved in Word Registers.

In either case, the pipe ID Number needs to carried by a set of Word Registers.

Once the register types are determined, it becomes a question of how to load the registers, and how to unload the registers, and, if unloading a register... where to unload it to.

The answer to those questions depend on your particular PLC. That is, the capabilities of the particular PLC (AND the answers to the questions I posed to you).

PLEASE! Please, take the time to answer my questions!

Thanks for My friend who are helping me with answers

Thanks for the link, I have read about RFID some min after I wrote the post. I found a very reliable and working system by Siemens called MOBY on which I can read and write different datas. But using RFID. I will have some problems these systems are normally very sensetive to metals which you know I have a deal of them in the site then I need to start another system to attach and detach the tags from the pipe's body. and of course I can not detect a tag on the other side of the pipe.The pipe rotate and move a lot in their way to different stations. I would be very thankful if you can suggest a way for the application. Marking in rings is a very good idea we thought about it too but do u know a printer which can print in ring ?

specially Dear Terry

Sequence is in a way that some pipes may leave for test or come back to the line after preparation, the prepared pipes might go to different test stations to be tested again. I am not sure if My Boss will pay for automatic system for all parts. Some of these leaving and come backs are in order, some not. I do have an OPC connected by application to database system so I am not to write the tracking system by PLC, But I have to think about many operator supervisors who need panels for edit and confirm the pipe number. I must give them a suggestion and wait for their confirm. The things would be worst noticing that due to the standard they are using if any failure happens and if there is a need for editing the database, some official talks with customer representative id neccessary. So that is why I am still searching for an identification system. Beside I am working on a system very alike the one you suggested.

I did My best to answer all questions because I am sure I will find the solution here...

Last edited:
Prince said:
We can not use the normal bar code system cause the pipes rotates and move a lot in conveyors. so it would be hard to find the place that the pipe has been marked on.

Could you -

a. Apply three barcodes to the pipe spaced at 120 degrees to be read with a single scanner?

b. Use three scanners (also spaced at 120 degrees) around the pipe to read a single barcode?

I'm just speculating at the number three, it might be necessary to use four each of scanners/barcodes, or even some combination of the two to get a good read.

Prince said:
Marking in rings is a very good idea we thought about it too but do u know a printer which can print in ring ?

It would not know the name, correct that it is known world

Another way, faster. To involve the pipe with rings. Colorful or metallized rings.
Metal sensor, trustworthiness possesss robuste.

Printer Perhaps project, especific. Peaks of ink, that they move in a track. While, the pipe position, roll makes to turn.
Suppliers of painting cabin, they can manufacture.
It depends, if in the displacement not to spoil the identification.

RFID, to be good. It can use fixed in covers for the pipe... viable to reuse labels?
Prince, have pictures!!?!!
Derek, good journal.