press and hold

I have found that setting up an operator log, and making the operator aware of this, significantly reduces errors. They will never press the wrong button if they will be held accountable.

I found this to be true when I started logging all secured events on screen and to the CF card and put in users individually by real name. When it says in the alarm history "John Smith Pressed PB Auto AU14", they some how magically quit screwing up the air handler modes.

For something like this, a pop up with two widely spaced and clearly labelled buttons. Confirm/execute the action or cancel (close popup). Then they are only burdened with one more button press, so you have given them an opportunity to think twice, which may reduce the erorrs, but you can't fix all human errors, so don't make it too difficult to operate.

In my previous post I suggested only use a pop-up when the action may not be logical in the process.

When bubba sees a pop-up he doesn't usually get, ask him if that's what he meant, otherwise proceed as requested...

Tank empty - Fill Tank - proceed
Tank empty - Empty Tank - Are you sure?
Tank not empty - Empty Tank - proceed
Tank not empty - Fill tank - Are you sure?

Just define what is allowable, and design your prompts accordingly.

Bubba will learn that the system is smart, and he will try to be better than it, so hitting the right button will become something he does think about, it's human nature not to be questioned.

Try to be pro-active with the system...

There will be times when it is appropriate to open the inlet valve - say when the tank is empty, and times when it might be inappropriate to open the inlet valve - say when the tank already has some contents. Similar thing for the drain valve.

Design pop-up confirmations to appear only when the action may be inappropriate, and bubba will soon learn what button to press at the relevant time. If you ask him if "Are you sure" every time, he'll just get used to saying yes.

But if he learns that he can avoid a pop-up by thinking about which button to press - he'll get the right one every time.

This is a strategy that does work - I've seen it in action

i like this approach. you guide them to the right choices.

Fastest time in the universe is the time frame between the moment that you pressed Yes, and the moment you realized you wanted to press No.

Fastest time in the universe is the time frame between the moment that you pressed Yes, and the moment you realized you wanted to press No.

That is true, because time is only relative to something else, it isnt real. even einstein and hawking agree. lol