Bitmap HMI symbols (poll)

Do you configure HMI graphics using custom graphics (bitmaps)?

• No never used custom graphics on HMI.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Have made some specific graphics for my own use.

Votes: 45 54.9%
  • I am interested in custom graphics for HMIs.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Would be willing to contribute to a HMI Graphic Library on this forum.

Votes: 34 41.5%
  • What the heck are you talking about??

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters

Sliver

I am interested in starting a thread that would allow us to build a library of bitmap graphic symbols for use in HMI graphics and even dare I say animation. The HMI that I am familar with allows the importing of bitmaps that can be assigned as 'symbols'. Building all the symbols from scratch would be both time consuming and redundant.
I know there will be lots of debate on proper symbols and such and we may be able to set down our own standards. For instance, basic HMI questions like does an alarm have to be displayed in red, and flash? Does green always mean go, running. Yellow for caution, Like the street lights? Anyway just pick your selections from the poll, you can pick more than one. Let's see if there is any interest.

Brian.

Last edited:
I'm always getting frustrated trying to find built in objects that I like and resort to making my own. I also have several Wonderware symbols.

Last edited:
Rick Densing said:
Perhaps the file sharing area can include an HMI symbol section.

Good idea. It's now there.
Download Area

In case you're wondering why it hasn't gone live yet... the answer is quite simple.
I have to add a new item to the menu bar at the top of the page. That's a large project as there are many files. So, I figured while I'm at it I'd get back to that redesign from a while back.

So, yes, a redesign is in process. The download section will be more prominent and hopefully become useful for sharing. The functionality of the forum will remain... so don't be alarmed. There will also be a 'surprise section' (y) added. No hints just yet... but guaranteed to be worth the wait.
Timeframe should be mid-April.

On a side note: PLCS.net T-shirts also 'finally' arrived. I just gotta snap some pictures of them with the digital cam before announcing them officially.

Here's the new logo that will be used in the redesign:
[attachment]

Enjoy,

plcs-net.jpg

Bravo, Phil!...
2.gif

beerchug

-Eric
P.S. Great job on the graphic design!... :site:

Good, that good already I found about this matter, and never I found. There is long time, I interest .

Include Direct X objects? Or not. ...

Suggestions:

1- List of springs, forum SCADA, bank of objetcs.
http: //scada.trinux.org/
ttp://www3.ad.siemens.de/bilddb/guiWelcome.asp?lang=es

2- New post about best and easy software will go build figures, and software will to bank objecs.

http: //www.controldraw.co.uk/

3-Persons designer graphics will go build

But, the intrigue as convince the persons it put the drawings of its screens?

Great logo Phil!!!

Ron now has a high standard to match against (He's looking for a logo at this time...)

Waiting for the T-shirts..... (y)

:site:

nOrM

Exactly right Pierre,

We may have to decide on a file name format to help organize the thousands (optimistic?) of contributions we receive.

I have been working on piping and valve position symbols and the file name might be something like....

pipe smalldia green horiz.bmp

pipe mediumdia red vert.bmp

...for discussion anyway.

I like the black background Pierre, we may want to standardize on that as well,

good work.

Brian.

this is a sample of what I have been working on

[attachment]

plcsnet graphics.jpg

[SARCASM]
Oh great!... A WHITE T-shirt, my favo(u)rite colo(u)r for work! Those will stay nice and clean in MY environment... :rolleyes:
[/SARCASM]
beerchug

-Eric

P.S. Thank's for not 'flashing' for us, Phil!... :D

Great idea itcan be very time consuming creating your own graphics. just thought I would let you know that green doesn't mean running or on, I started working for my present company 18 months ago and it was like learning everything from scratch. For some reason they have adopted thier own standard which is opposite the rest of industry. Well thats the case until you think you can understand it and then you come across sometthing that is how you would expect it to be in th real world. Any way back to what I was originally saying, red means running greeen means stopped the logic being that red means danger. Also on the display of the vessels there are 3 level indicators, I am used to all indicators off= vessel empty, all on= vessel full. I now have to try to remember that if the bottom indicator is on then vessl is empty, bottom indicator off all other indicators on vessel is full. Has anyone else come across this type of representation?

OK Phil, were do we order those T-shirts? Mine should be XL size, and I think I'll need about three of them. Would be nice to advertise for this site while I'm teaching. Now I have to tell people over and over again. Not that I'm tired of it, but a T-shirt would be more efficient ;) .

Concerning the symbols: I've always used AutoCAD to draw them, BetterWMF to get them in to Jasc PaintShopPro, where I could change parts of it to transparent and then save it in BMP format. Last step was to import in Citect and convert to symbol. As has been told already: a long and tedious way, but what a result! You can see an example from the course I'm teaching at this page . Sorry it's only Dutch, but everybody can get an idea what I'm talking about. The lorry, the two blue silos, the cyclinder and the two endswitches are generated in the way I've described.

And by the way: I'm willing to share whatever I've got so far. I didn't realise the poll did accept two or more answers, so I've only voted about having designed symbols already.

Kind regards,