5v fragile circuit in Industrial condition

Prince

Because of some complications, I need to use a small 5v commercial circuit board in an industrial panel. Do you know any solution or trick that might help regarding electrical noise or EMC?

I thought maybe a grounded steel box might be useful :)

Last edited:
Are you going to use the device in the EU or one of the EFTA countries ?
Any device for sale in the EU must have a declaration of conformity to EU standards. This declaration specifies amongst other things the EMC emmision and immunity zones. Those are either zone 1 (heavy industry) or zone 2 (light industry, or office).
Which one of those is your intended location ?

If the declared EMC zone matches your intended location, then you are good to go.
If the device doesnt have such a declaration of conformity, or it it has but with the wrong zone, then it lies on you to make sure it conforms to standards. And that means all standards, not only the ones pertaining to EMC.
To do this is in reality near-impossible for anyone else than the OEM.

The device is a very commonly used Arduino and no I am not in Europe. I just want to make a cheap system that works well

I just want to make a cheap system that works well

The above is a great quote!

On that note, I'd probably just create an enclosure for the system and route any external wiring to it. I don't think that you'll have any issues unless you're trying to run this next to high voltage wiring. 24VDC shouldn't interfere with what you're trying to do.

Another option would be to use voltage boosters or just simple relays for your output signals depending on what you want to do...

I just want to make a cheap system that works well

Pick one.

Seriously. You can't expect low-voltage breadboard hobby-grade products to perform as reliably as hardened industrial electronics, especially with regard to EMC and ESD protection.

There are "hardened" versions of Arduino controllers available, with ESD protection and 24V I/O circuits already built into them.

I don't have a problem with Arduino or other simple microcontrollers being used for R&D or as the basis for a well engineered control system. I've done it myself, using Pololu A-Star Mini SV controllers, which have an excellent wide range power supply unit, so at least I was able to protect the controller's power input, and build my own simple transistor circuits for I/O.

And yes, when we shipped a system that used it to Europe, the testing process cost 100x what the hardware had cost.

Rugged-circuits.com

Seriously though, things like Arduino and Rasperry pi are generally frowned upon in industrial settings. They don't have the testing, documentation, and warranties large companies like Allen Bradley and Siemens do.

When your part fails (and it will fail eventually) you will likely be left to answer questions. Worse yet, if it fails and someone gets hurt or a large loss of money occurs, you will end up in court having to explain your cheap circuit.

Don't bother, it just isn't worth the risk.

I've used these very successfully in our plant for prototyping (using opto-isolated I/O circuits) and for a couple of NON CRITICAL systems only where the cost of equivalent industrial equipment made the project nonviable (mostly signalling and data logging). The longest has been in constant use in an industrial environment (steel processing factory) for 8 years with no issue.
These platforms are as "hobby grade" as the quality and design of your interfacing circuits - BUT I would certainly never consider using one for any sort of production equipment where you expect reliability, longevity or serviceability after you leave. Stick to OEM stuff with true tech support, if you can.
If failure of this device is going to cause injury, damage or production loss for your client, you deserve to be taken to the cleaners.
For your project, mount it in an earthed (grounded) metal box for shielding and give it a try.