GE QuickPanel+ Communication Failure Issue

Baila_Shah

Hi all,

I have connected the QuickPanel+ with Modbus TCP/IP comm module along with other I/O modules. The software I am using for PLC coding is Proficy Machine Edition 8.6. Today I wanted to check the effect of the communications failure on the setup and I was surprised to see that the outputs remained on even after communication was terminated.

Has anyone came across a similar issue? Could anyone of you please suggest how to make the outputs go off after the communication failure is encountered?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

I have not worked with your hardware, but something similar. What I did was turn on a bit in the plc from the HMI. The PLC would then turn this off on a regular interval. If the bit did not turn on again after a time frame, the communication link was broken.
This is sometimes referred to as a heart beat.

Regards,

Hi all,

I have connected the QuickPanel+ with Modbus TCP/IP comm module along with other I/O modules. The software I am using for PLC coding is Proficy Machine Edition 8.6. Today I wanted to check the effect of the communications failure on the setup and I was surprised to see that the outputs remained on even after communication was terminated.

Has anyone came across a similar issue? Could anyone of you please suggest how to make the outputs go off after the communication failure is encountered?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

When the hardware is configured there is an option for each output module of what to do when communications are lost, there are two choices. 'Hold Last State', Turn them 'OFF', AFAIK turn them all 'ON' is not an option.
You need to decide what is best for your system.

Always learn and understand all options for your controller and its I/O, do not make assumptions.

Thank you for your responses.

I have the option of configuring the hardware through GE guidepro software. However, I had thoroughly look around the software and couldn't find any option regarding the "hold last state".

Any other way of configuring you guys suggest?

On way to work and shall give it an other go today.

Best Regards,

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses.

I have the option of configuring the hardware through GE guidepro software. However, I had thoroughly look around the software and couldn't find any option regarding the "hold last state".

Any other way of configuring you guys suggest?

On way to work and shall give it an other go today.

Best Regards,
Sorry, I miss-led you a bit.
What is GE Guidepro software?
Who made the I/O? What Model - Part number?

I am familiar with a couple of the GE A&C models like VersaMax I/O and RSTi I/O which are typically both configured using Proficy Machine Edition.
Here is what PME says about configuring a 24 VDC 8 pt. VersaMax Output module:
Module Parameters Tab:

%Q Default/Hold Last State

Determines the value for the outputs when the host device transitions from Stop to Run. Valid choices: Default, Hold Last State.

• Default: On a Stop to Run transition, the outputs are initialized to the values set in the Output Parameters tab.
  • If the parameter is set to Hold Last State, the outputs will hold the current value on the Stop to Run transition.
The Output Parameters tab Lets you set each Output to either 'ON' or 'OFF'.

Last edited:
I just downloaded GuidePro software. I couldn't find an explanation of the terminology so I guess you will need to experiment with the settings in the "Parameters" tab for each output module.
The choices for fault action for each output are "Fault Action" and "Hold Last State". What have you selected?
If I'm interpreting correctly, "Hold Last State" means that the output will retain the state it was in prior to the fault. I think "Fault Action" may mean that in the event of a fault the output will take the state configured by the "Fault Action" choice.
I've never worked with this product so I advise you to do some bench testing to verify if my interpretations are correct.