PanelView Plus 1000 connection to D-485 Link Coupler

BHarold

I replaced a PanelView 600 with a PanelView Plus 1000, graphics was successfully transferred over. When connecting the D-485 Link Coupler via the CPU (J1) port to the Ethernet port of the PanelView Plus 1000, the Link Coupler power LED goes off. Could someone please provide some assistance in this please? Is my connection from the respective stated ports correct?

D485_Lnk_Cplr.jpg

I just had to fire off that post quickly. Probably too late, but I didn't want to delay.

First, welcome to the Forum !

The 8-pin "RJ-45" style plug on the 1747-AIC labeled "Peripheral" is not an Ethernet plug. It is the same physical style, but A-B and other manufacturers had been using those for different purposes long before twisted-pair Ethernet came along.

Instead, it's a Data Highway 485 network plug. And because some devices that connect to it (like the old 1747-PIC) require power, it has +24V power on Pins 3 and 8.

That +24V can damage an Ethernet port if you connect that port to an Ethernet device. It's not guaranteed to do so, but it's possible.

To connect a PanelView Plus in place of a PanelView Standard on DH485, the best approach is to replace the 1747-AIC with a 1761-NET-AIC, or to add a 1761-NET-AIC just to serve as a converter/isolator for the PanelView Plus RS-232 port.

What other devices are in your network ?

Yes, its disconnected since I attempted - and am still reading up and sourcing for more information on how to correctly connect and establish communications.

Thank you Ken
Devices on my network includes (the setup) - AB SLC5/03 to a 1747-AIC, then to another 1747-AIC and will be to the new PanelView Plus 1000.
Thank you very much once again for the quick response. I really appreciate it

Replacing the second 1747-UIC with a 1761-NET-AIC is the best solution.

The "trunk" cable will plug into the 6-terminal "Phoenix Combicon" style connector, and you will run a straight-through RS-232 cable from the DB9 connector on the 1761-NET-AIC to the RS-232 port on the PanelView Plus.

In RSLinx Enterprise (on the Runtime tab only) you will configure a Serial-DH485 driver for COM1 on the PV+ terminal.