193 E1 Plus EtherNet/IP

nmurray

I am having a hell of a time trying to set the IP address in some of these.

I have done it in the past and it was simple.. what am I doing wrong??

I have my NIC card set to dynamic, I have opened BOOTP
I can see the mac address of my NIC card and the MAC address of the Module.

I add module to relation and give it an ip address.
The manual says to powercycle the module, then in bootP utility in the discovery it will display the IP Address next to the mac Address.. This is not happening for me..

haha, that is definitely what it seemed like. I was talking to tech connect for 1 hour doing the same thing over and over.. then it started working.. I almost wonder if its something with my PC.

I have my NIC card set to dynamic

In general, when you're setting up automation devices for a static IP network, you need to have your computer set for an address on that static IP network.

While the BOOTP/DHCP Utility can assign an address to a device without being on that device's network, neither the utility nor RSLinx nor anything else can communicate with the device over TCP/IP unless your computer has an address on that network. That includes sending the "Disable DHCP" command.

In general you must first use the BOOTP/DHCP utility to give an IP address to a device, and then also use the utility (or RSLinx) to disable BOOTP/DHCP. That will result in the device no longer sending out BOOTP/DHCP requests.

I prefer to use RSLinx Classic to disable BOOTP/DHCP because the Utility itself doesn't always work.