SLC 5/05 and Rexroth HCS01.1E drives on Ethernet/IP

I think We've convinced our Rexroth vendor's sales engineer that we can't use Rexroth's "Freely configurable mode" because we only have explicit messaging available to us. He was hanging his hat on that as it seems to be the only mode of operation he's somewhat familiar with. We think there are other modes in the drive that we can use to get it talking and exchange the meagre amount of data we need.

I'll bear in mind the safety concerns and make sure we check what happens when the ethernet cable is unplugged. Does this perhaps suggest the use of a "heartbeat" signal to make sure the comms is up and running?

Thanks for all the help proffered so far, I'm sure I'll be looking for more assistance soon.

One of the Rockwell commercial engineering guys had a saying about this sort of thing: "No matter how low or how slow you try, a crocodile will never fly".

Cyclic I/O simply isn't a feature that the SLC-5/05 or MicroLogix 1100/1400 support.

Some devices require a true cyclic I/O connection to be established and running, while some will allow you to read and write the same data objects (that would usually be connected to a cyclic connection) using acyclic messages.

I'm a notable critic of such messaging methods, because they aren't intended to work that way. They require that you take extra care with timeouts and failure modes and considerations for sharing the resources of the controller with other features (HMI, online editing, etc).

And part of the practical problem is that it's usually novice programmers who get themselves into a situation where they have an SLC-5/05 instead of a CompactLogix, and they aren't suited for the challenge of that extra programming.

The compromise I aim for is that the Start/Stop commands be hard-wired, and the setting of position or velocity setpoint values be done using messages.

Thanks for that, Ken. There's no rush on this project at the moment, so we have the luxury of being able to 'play around' with the explicit messaging to see if we can get it to work safely and reliably. If not, we have the fallback position of hard-wiring.

We have a 1769-L35E processor. It appears to be capable of doing the implicit messaging. Our AB vendor has said "The L35E controller is older technology, my recommendation is to use the 1769-L30ER(M) or the 5069-L306ER(M)". He doesn't confirm that it's capable of doing what we need or that it's not and he has a vested interest in selling us new processors. Can someone confirm that the L35E will do what we need, please?

Yes the L35E can do Cyclic I/O or Implicit Messaging.

You can only flash the L35 up to version 20 of Firmware, so you will want to make sure any AOP or AOI that you can get from Rexroth is compatible with that version of Firmware. Most likely it is but just make sure.

The 1769-L35E was the first very popular CompactLogix controller.

It has some older technology (only up to v20 firmware, serial instead of USB, no safety or motion) but its basic EtherNet/IP I/O functionality is the same as its modern cousins.

While I wouldn't buy a 1769-L35E to sell to a customer on a brand-new machine, for an in-house control project I wouldn't hesitate to use one.

What is the complete PN of your drive and what is the PN and Firmware version of the control section with motor information? Not completely familiar with the IndraDrive Cs. Have only used the IndraDrive C series HSC02.1.

In the past using the Indradive C for a highly accurate shaft turner (non Coordinated motion). With the HSC02.1 there is an Encoder Emulation Output that can be connected to a high speed input module and the speed can be controlled via analog output. This all depends on the PN and firmware of the control module.

Not sure your application requirements but if its simple control there may be no need for EthIP communication.

Also what SW are you using to configure the drive? Indraworks engineering, IndrawroksDS?

I think We've convinced our Rexroth vendor's sales engineer that we can't use Rexroth's "Freely configurable mode" because we only have explicit messaging available to us. He was hanging his hat on that as it seems to be the only mode of operation he's somewhat familiar with. We think there are other modes in the drive that we can use to get it talking and exchange the meagre amount of data we need.

I'll bear in mind the safety concerns and make sure we check what happens when the ethernet cable is unplugged. Does this perhaps suggest the use of a "heartbeat" signal to make sure the comms is up and running?

Thanks for all the help proffered so far, I'm sure I'll be looking for more assistance soon.

Last edited:
The drive part # is HCS01.1E-W0054-A-03-B-ET-EC-NN-NN-NN-FW

I don't know what the control section part # is but suspect it may be specified by the main part #. I know the firmware is V18

I'll try to get the motor part # tomorrow. They're old Allen-Bradley drives which we had to change out the resolver on to get them to be controllable from the Rexroth drive.

The application is fairly simple. We just want to be able to tell it to Home, Jog, and move to a position. We need to command velocity and give positions to move to. As for status information, we need position feedback, Homed, In Position, that's about it.

The firmware module does have a different part number. The drive control is scalable to what the needs are. Either way when the power module part number you provided is plugged into IndraWorks with the economy model of firmware FWA-INDRV*-MPB-18S11.02-D5-1-NNN-NN--No options or the high end version FWA-INDRV*-MPB-18S11.02-D5-1-NNN-MA--All options. Both models have the same I/O 11 digital inputs 1 digital output and 1 analog input. There is no option with either unit for SSI emulation. So no emulated encoder output.

Both models do support Eth/IP if your needed the amount of signals listed that or another higher level control system seems the only option. Unless the Firmware module is the high end then there is a PLC native to the drive simple control can be configured inside the drive. use the inputs for our commands and the single output would be used for all discrete feedback. still would not have position feed back but if the internal drive control was used it may not be needed.

This is assuming that the application is not dynamic in the position set point. Still would not be impossible but not ideal.

You may want to ask the Rexroth sales engineer to quote a MLC for the control if you have to buy another controller anyway. Then SercosIII could be used for communication. This needs additional software but from what I remember its not insanely expensive.

just my 2 cents GL

The drive part # is HCS01.1E-W0054-A-03-B-ET-EC-NN-NN-NN-FW

I don't know what the control section part # is but suspect it may be specified by the main part #. I know the firmware is V18

I'll try to get the motor part # tomorrow. They're old Allen-Bradley drives which we had to change out the resolver on to get them to be controllable from the Rexroth drive.

The application is fairly simple. We just want to be able to tell it to Home, Jog, and move to a position. We need to command velocity and give positions to move to. As for status information, we need position feedback, Homed, In Position, that's about it.

The firmware code, as reported in IndraWorks Ds Service/Firmware Management is FWA-INDRV*-MPB-18V32-D5-1-NNN-ML.

The motors are actually Reliance Electric Electro-Craft servo motors, Model No. 1326AB-B74CC-21, Part No 155349.