Cheap Software to Program Tablets as HMI's

Andy_Gowen

Hi everyone, I am interested in finding some cheap and simple software to create interfaces with a Microsoft tablet. I know cheap is a relative term, but i don't have the approval to buy a $10k software package for one use. If you are familiar with C-More's software, i would like to find something as basic as that. All i need my tablet to do is connect to an Allen Bradley PLC and allow me to create a few buttons/displays. Anyone have any suggestions?

And I'm guessing A-B is a hard requirement? Could whip up a pretty quick HTML5 based interface on a Siemens S7-1200/1500 for an additional $0.

But surely A-B must have something similar for setting up a web server. They might even have something just below 10k...

I should also metnion, there is NO wifi available. This tablet will be connected directly to the PLC through Ethernet. Some of you may ask "why use a tablet then?" Well, eventually the goal is to bring wifi into the plant.

I have a Windows 10 32 bit tablet that I have a few troubleshooting HMI's on made with AdvancedHMI - free to use, just need to install Visual Studio Community, also free, (or a paid version if you have it)

For a couple lines that can not be accessed through the WiFi network I carry a cheap WiFi router to connect to the PLC and connect the tablet to that network.

I use this for ControlLogix and SLC PLC's mostly, and one S7-300.

CommissioningMan, AB is what we use here as a way to make things easier on everyone, we try to use the same PLC's for each project so everyone involved is familiar with everything. That being said, I want to make something simple. I would like for everyone who has to deal with this machine, to have access to the software and the ability to edit.

Go to Bob O's link and download the free file. Unzip it to where you know it will be.

On your computer go to Control Panel, Uninstall a Program, Turn Windows features On or Off - and turn on ALL of the .NET options - these need to be on to run Visual Studio to program the HMI and they need to be on to run the HMI itself.

Then go to Microsoft and download and install Visual Studio Community:
https://www.visualstudio.com/thank-you-downloading-visual-studio/?sku=Community&rel=15

Depending on how many of the features you install it can take from an hour to over 6 hours to install.

Open VS and then Open Solutions, browse to the unzipped folder, select the file in the first folder, when it opens click Build, Build AdvancedHMI. Then you can make your HMI's.

If you need help AdvancedHMI has a good forum, and usually provides quick responses:
http://advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php

I have almost no experience with wifi or communications with devices, So let me ask you all this: Is it possible for the tablet and the PLC to communicate wireless, without wifi? For example, can i use a wireless router?

I have almost no experience with wifi or communications with devices, So let me ask you all this: Is it possible for the tablet and the PLC to communicate wireless, without wifi? For example, can i use a wireless router?

A wireless router still uses WiFi to allow your tablet to connect.

That is what I do for PLC's not connected to a network with WiFi.

I carry a small WiFi router, I think is cost me about $20.00, and connect it to the switch in the control panel, or directly to the PLC if the Ethernet isn't used, I called the network HMI808 so it wouldn't conflict with any existing WiFi, and connect my table to it.

Plus this allows me to roam around the line wirelessly as long as I stay within the range of the WiFi.

Why not an Android tablet ?

Just try this app on any Android phone or tablet to evaluate if it meets your needs.

There are also alternatives to connect to the network through the usb port, for example this one , although not all tablets allow it

Last edited: