Problem during usage of BOOTP/DHCP server software

AB2005

Hi;

To assign an IP to a device, I have installed BOOTP/DHCP server (by Rockwell). By following the instructions, I send IP to a connected device upon its MAC. When I click “Disable BOOTP/DHCP”, after some time, every time message appears “Failed to complete the requested operation……………” and in status bar, “Socket connect failed………..”. All the connections are ok that’s why the MAC address of device appears in BOOTP. I do also set the same series IP and Subnet Mask of Laptop (say 172.16.28.250 and 255.255.255.0) as that which I want to set to device (say 172.16.28.255 and 255.255.255.0). Don’t know why I am facing the problem. Kindly help me out.

I haven't been able to get the rockwell bootp/DHCP server to work since 2010.

Instead, i use a DHCP router, and either the eth-ip driver or the routers web page to find his IP address.

On the computers that the Rockwell BOOTP/DHCP utility works on, it works all the time. On the ones it doesn't... it doesn't.

The good news is that the "Disable BOOTP/DHCP" function can also be performed by right-clicking on the device in RSLinx Classic and selecting Module Configuration.

Which device you are trying to set the IP?

To assign an IP to a device for a first time you cant have (172.16.28.250) you need to be in 192.168.1.xxx

Try connecting to the device via switch

When you send command to BOOTP to set the IP address then change your laptop IP to match the device IP (say 172.16.28.250)

Now you should be able to ping the device

I am trying to set IP of Micro820.

Kindly also let me know how to change the IP of Micro820 if dont have its programing software?

Using the Micro SD card
With the Micro SD card, you are able to change the IP address during boot up when you use the ConfigMeFirst.txt text file in the Micro SD root folder.

For this, create the ConfigMeFirst.txt lines with following code inside:

[PM]
[IPA=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
[SNM=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
[END]

With xxx being a valid IP address or valid subnet mask.

If you now reboot the controller, the IP address and subnet mask of the controller will have changed to the ones specified in the ConfigMeFirst.txt file.
Again, the remark has to be made that if the controller is password protected, you will still need this to view the program. If this is the case and the password is also lost, the only solution is a firmware flash with which you will lose the program.

Chopin > To assign an IP to a device for a first time you cant have (172.16.28.250) you need to be in 192.168.1.xxx

Dear Mr. Chopin,
I'm a little fuzzy on this . . . But I have three machines, each of which has its own little
LAN and within the LAN the addresses are all 192.168 etc. To ping the similar box on one of the other machines, the address used is 172.16.7x.xxx.

There is also a central computer used to send jobs to all three machines and its IP address is 172.16.11.1. Each machine also has a 'Pix box' (router) which translates
which IP's are staying within the LAN (192.168.54.xxx) and which need to go out
to the WAN (172.16.etc.etc.).

At the moment, I don't see why this BootP/DHCP Server can't assign IP addresses to
the 172 network.
Poet.

Chopin >
Dear Mr. Chopin,
I'm a little fuzzy on this . . .

You right
the statement
"To assign an IP to a device for a first time you cant have (172.16.28.250) you need to be in 192.168.1.xxx"
is not correct.

What I meant is that you probably will not be able to change the IP address of a device using BootP