AB ANALOGE MODULE 1746-NIO4V

PERSPOLIS

HI EXPERTS
THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THAT I AM DEALING WITH ANALOGE MODULE 1746-NIO4V I HAVE CHECKED THE WIRING DIAGRAM AND ACTUAL PHYSICAL CONNECTION ON THE SYSTEM AND COMPARE TO ALLEN BRADLEY PUBLICATION 1746-6.4 JANUARY 1996 AND THERE ARE A FEW POINTS THAT I LIKE TO MENTION AND PROBABLY SOME OF YOU KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE CAN PUT ME ON THE RIGHT TRACK:
BASED ON FIGURE 2.4 IN THE ABOVE PUBLICATION THE ANALOG SOURCE CONNECTION TO THE MODULE IS ONLY CONNECTED TOPOINTS 1 AND2 FOR + AND – SIGNAL AND NOTHING IS CONNECTED TO ANL COM OF CHANNEL ZERO BUT OUR SYSTEM THE SOURCE IS 0 T0 6.5 V DC WHICH IS THE ARMATURE CURRENT FROM THE DRIVE AT THIS LOCATION FOIL SHIELD AND DRAIN WIRE SHRINK WRAPED AND NOTHING CONNECTED TO GROUND BUT AT THE MODULE AT CHANNEL 0 WE HAVE BLACK WIRE CONNECTED TO 0 IN 0 + , CLEAR WIRE CONNECTED TO 1 IN0 – AND FOIL SHIELD AND DRAIN CONNECTED TO 2 ANL COM CAN ANYBODY EXPLAIN IS THIS RIGHT OR NOT AND WHEN READING PARAGRAPH SECTION : WIRING CONSIDERATION OF PUBLICATION IT STATES THAT:

ALL ANALOG COMMON TERMINAL (ANL COM ) ARE ELECTRICALLY CONNECTED INSIDE THE MODULE . ANL COM IS NOT CONNECTED TO EARTH GROUND INSIDE THE MODULE AND THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT OUR SYSTEM IS WIRED BUT FIGURE 2.4 SHOWS SOMETHING ELSE AND NOTHING IS CONNECTED TO ANL COM AND I AM CONFUSED.
MANY THANKS EXPERTS

NIO4V

Based on the info you have provided, you are wiring the input correctly except for connecting the shield to the analog common. I would not do that. Generally the shield is used to drain off electrical noise and should only be connected to ground at one end to avoid ground loop problems. Connect your shield to a known earth ground point at either end you like, just not both ends. I would not use the analog common on the module for anything in your application.
I hope this helps you out.

1746-NIO4V

HI RANDY
THANKS FOR THE REPLY NOW I AM ASSURED THAT ANL COM SHOULD NOT BE USED BUT CAN YOU TELL ME WHY THE TERMINAL IS AVAILABLE ON THE MODULE .
MANY THANKS

NIO4V

Well, looking back at the publication you mentioned in your first post, you will notice that the NIO4V is a two channel input and two channel output module. The output channels are used in conjunction with the analog common on the module which is used to supply the - side of the output. Looking at the technical data and the connection diagrams, you will notice that the input channels are differential inputs and they are isolated from each other. The output channels are not configured in such a way. If you were to use the analog common on the inputs, you would degrade their noise immunity characteristics. Any other information will have to come from another source, that is about the limit of my understanding of the subject. I believe you are doing the right thing in you plant so don't worry about those other pesky little things.

I have a question...was there a reason you are checking the wiring to this module? From your statements this doesnt seem to be a new install question. I am not sure I understand your concern, does the system operate improperly. If it works properly maybe you should recheck the wiring to verify you understand the connections properly.

Thanks randy .
I am really glad that you asked this question (rsdoran) the machine was delivered to company a few years before I joined the company I asked my fellow workers why there is no armature current display on the meter the response was that it never worked and I am trying correct this problem even though no one has asked me
With the help and knowledge I get from this forum I think problem will be solved and at the same time I am learning too .

So I did review AB analog module publication and I noticed that wiring of the module is based documentation and electrical drawing of the manufacturer but not based on Allen Bradley publication so I want to make sure before I do make any change to wiring of the module.

Many thanks experts

Besides the shield grounding, the wiring seems like it should work. You're getting NO display, so shield grounding would not be my first thing to question. The module is supposed to be reading a 0 to 6.5 volt signal. Have you measured the voltage with a voltmeter? Is it there? If not, is it present at the drive? It might be something as simple as a broken wire...

If there is no voltage output at the drive, the problem might be that the machine builder forgot to configure the drive's analog output correctly, or the drive might be defective.

If the voltage signal is present at the PLC, you might want to look at the program first. The analog card might not be set up properly, or the programmer picked the wrong variable to use for the current display.

You need to isolate where the problem lies before jumping to the conclusion that "It must be wired wrong"... (n)

And thanks for fixing your CAPS LOCK key... :D

beerchug

-Eric