Thank you, Rockwell...

L5K_Edit

Hi All, I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue. I am the site coordinator and purchase ten seats of Rockwell Software each year for our organization. Almost always we issue a Purchase order THE DAY Rockwell sends out an e-mail to purchase next year's toolkit.

This year we did issue our PO the SAME DAY. We were down to TWO grace days on our license expiration when the 2016 software arrived.

Thank you, Rockwell, for giving us TWO DAYS to re-install all our software on TEN seats. Thank you, Rockwell, for allowing us the privilege to pay almost ten thousand dollars each year to use your software. Thank you, Rockwell, for making sure that we almost always never have more than one week to roll out the installations; we understand this is necessary because Rockwell has no control over when their licenses expire and when you make "new" software available to your customers. [*Ahem* Sarcasm].

It is a good thing Rockwell has some of the best software and has such a large installed base, because I would DROP any other vendor that treated us in this manner.

Thank you for reading. We are a global OEM, and I only represent North American operations. I wonder if it is the same story for manufacturers and folks overseas...

-Jason

You know a year ahead of time when the toolkit expires and Rockwell only sends yo the renewal two days before it expires?

Also why do you say you have to re-install software? Only the activations need to be updated. Doesn't take long at all.

We were down to TWO grace days on our license expiration when the 2016 software arrived.

I dont know so thats why im asking... but what happens if it expires ? I maybe wrong but I dont think anything, unless you tried to update the software

what happens if it expires ?

When the license expires we can no longer open many of the development applications such as Logix5000, RSView, etc. Sometimes Logix500 will still run.

I suppose it is true we don't have to update our software, we could just distribute the license keys and update the license server for those who check out licenses. But then we would have update our software eventually anyways to be up to date, it just seems to make more sense to do it all at once, otherwise it is 'double work' because I think we have to install FactoryTalk activation manager anyways....

I'm interested in learning if anyone else runs into this, and, if so how do you deal with it?

Thanks again.

Hi All, I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue. I am the site coordinator and purchase ten seats of Rockwell Software each year for our organization. Almost always we issue a Purchase order THE DAY Rockwell sends out an e-mail to purchase next year's toolkit.

This year we did issue our PO the SAME DAY. We were down to TWO grace days on our license expiration when the 2016 software arrived.

Thank you, Rockwell, for giving us TWO DAYS to re-install all our software on TEN seats. Thank you, Rockwell, for allowing us the privilege to pay almost ten thousand dollars each year to use your software. Thank you, Rockwell, for making sure that we almost always never have more than one week to roll out the installations; we understand this is necessary because Rockwell has no control over when their licenses expire and when you make "new" software available to your customers. [*Ahem* Sarcasm].

It is a good thing Rockwell has some of the best software and has such a large installed base, because I would DROP any other vendor that treated us in this manner.

Thank you for reading. We are a global OEM, and I only represent North American operations. I wonder if it is the same story for manufacturers and folks overseas...

-Jason

At least they tell you !!

Try dealing with Schender UK and the support for Citect, I normally have to chase them to spend £4K each year before our dev. keys run out.....

I thought they would treat OEM better. For end user like us the software keeps on working, we just don't get version update anymore.

I think the OP is talking about the Rockwell Toolkit, which is a yearly software "rental". After the license expires the software is done until you install a new active license.

Originally posted by harryting:

For end user like us the software keeps on working, we just don't get version update anymore.

That sounds like an a la carte purchase. You basically bought the software with an inferred license for that version. If you want a later version you would buy that version outright. That really isn't the license contract that L5K_Edit is referring to. We are on the back edge of our contract also and need to get it handled shortly.

Keith

Just curious, mine says expatriation of 1/20/2016. So still 9 days, and that is even before the software goes into grace activation. I am assuming the cut off is the same for everyone.

I remember we have always gotten them 7-14 days prior to the expatriation.

Originally posted by Paully's5.0:

I remember we have always gotten them 7-14 days prior to the expatriation.

I know Rockwell software can be expensive but I didn't know they kicked you out of the country to get it. :)

Our renewal is closer to the beginning of the year. I think we are something like Jan 5 or so.

Keith

Install Rockwell software on a virtual machine that way you only have to install it once and then distribute the VM. Might lose a bit of performance so I would only do it if your laptop/PC is reasonably speced.

Well that explains why my GE customers are so happy with what GE charges and the ease by which the updates are done. :)

In addition, Rockwell is having licensing issues this year. I installed my 2016 toolkit at the end of the December to find out its expiring at the end of February. Not quite the 365 days we're supposed to get. :)
They are aware of the bug and are working on it, and hopefully it gets resolved before then!