the connection between SIMOTION D435, PLC, HMI and a computer industrial Ethernet ?

wendaiyu

Hi, guys, how’s going?

We get one SIMOTION D435 machine. The communication between D435, PLC and HMI is built by Ethernet cable.

(D435 IP address: 192.168.214.1;

PLC IP address: 192.168.214.11;

HMI IP address: 192.168.214.111;)

After we set up the IP (e.g. 192.168.214.121) on the computer and only connect to one of them via Ethernet cable (e.g. connect to port X150 on D435), we can download, upload, monitor…all of them.

There are some 840Dsl machine in our plant and our engineers configure IP address (e.g 10.10…) on X130 of NCK, then connect it to our server via Ethernet cable. Now our computer can communicate with 840Dsl PLC by wifi, because the computer can connect to our server by wifi.

So we want to build industrial Ethernet for our SIMITION D435 machine as well:

1, configure IP address (e.g 10.10…) on X130 of D435;

2, connect it to our server via Ethernet cable.

Our question is if we can communicate with D435 by wifi after that, can we connect to PLC, HMI via wifi at the same time? Just like before, we connect to any one of D435, PLC, HMI via Ethernet cable, we can download, upload, monitor…all of them.

(on my own opinion, I do not think so, because IP address of PLC and HMI are still are 192.168.214.x)

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
You will want to get with your IT department about how to do the network addressing. Depending on how you are segmenting the network, a 10.10.x.x address may not be able to speak with a 192.168.x.x address.

If your network is configured properly, yes you will be able to communicate with the machine, PLC and HMI over the company's wifi.

Personally, I would NOT want to run my HMI and PLC connection over wifi. Using wifi to connect to a device and monitor or program it is one thing, but an HMI needs to monitor and CONTROL your system. Pull a wire. [Disclaimer: I have my reservations about wireless communications for certain areas of machine control, so the above paragraph is pretty bias. Other people may have had better experiences. ]