Here is my Easy IP Address tool, ENJOY!

TheStarr

Don't you hate having to go to network properties or ipconfig to check your static IP Address? Me too!

I searched the web for a good utility to make this task easier, but there was nothing small, clean, and simple.

So I made one! And here it is, consider it my donation to the pool of knowledge.

It is a batch file that runs well in XP, not sure in other OS's.

You can use the batch file to quickly view your current network settings and your active IP addresses.

To setup the ability to modify your settings, you need to 'right-click' the icon and go to 'edit'. The file has some simple instructions in it to enter your network name and desired IP addresses.

It can assign a static IP from a list of 10 different IPs that you can hardcode into the file.

It can set your IP address to DHCP.

Or you can manually enter any number you want using 'create your own'.

I hope you get as much use out of it as I do!

P.S. I had to 'zip' it to be able to attach the file. Actually it is only 7kb, tiny! And it works all by itself, no other files needed, and nothing to install :D

The Starr,

I have tried it on Win2K SP4, and I cannot make it accept new changes to the IP on my PC.
It is currently set to DHCP, but I add the new address, but it never seems to accept the new IP that I have assigned it.
Maybe I am doing something wrong.

What I noticed when testing the file is that if the IP, mask, or gateway are not valid, then it will not apply the changes.

I don't know how to trigger an error message when this occurs.

Also, make sure that your network name is also correct in the batch file. It should read exactly the same as what you see in the "network connections" window.

I saw the IP Switcher in one of your previous posts. Looks like a good program.

Although I got nervous when it asked for the .net updates before installing.

Not afraid of .net, just afraid of corrupting my laptop with an update and having to reload everything. Been there, done that, no fun.

The batch works at a very basic level.

I use NETSH.

I put this in a .bat file to set to DHCP:
netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" source=dhcp

And I put this in another .bat file to set to a specific IP address:
netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" static 192.168.0.99 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 1

Notice that "Local Area Connection" must be the same name as setup in Windows Control Panel network connection settings.

Excuss my 'newness', this is the first large batch file I have made, so I am learning as I go.

As for needing "Choice.com", I searched my entire harddrive and found nothing named "choice" except 'class' files for xml.

I used "choice" and "which" as variables for the /p switch. They are not calls to a different program or .dll

JesperMP, the file uses exactly what you stated. I just wanted it all in one file and to have some sort of GUI. I looked at VB code, but decided against it. Didn't want to get too complicated.

Plus, the batch is open source, so others could see and learn from it. K.I.S.S!

Thanks for the input.

That is pretty smooth. Good job and thanks.

Jesper, that is a cool tool.
Thanks a million!

One thing that I have noticed, is that if you don't have administrative rights on W2K, it doesn't apply the settings.

Is there a batch setup that I can add to the file to override the security settings in W2K?

I borrowed Jesper's approach this morning and set up three one line batch files in a folder on my desktop. Talk about super simple! Now its easy to be online with a PLC, one click and be be back to the plant network to check something online, and one click back to go back online with the PLC. Since I've been wrestling with a Beckhoff Enet/ip buss coupler all day (I think its probably a PEBKAC error), its been handy to jump back and check the online documentation on the website.

Thanks Jesper. Buy yourslef a beer from me this evening. 🍺

Hey Jesper - An elegant solution to the ip address shell game. I bought you some Allagash wheat beer but I ended up drinking it all in your honor. Cheers! And kudos to TheStarr for his efforts.

Last edited: