Big problems changing computers for step 5 system

gordie

Hi;

I am helping our programmer change computers in our controlroom to faster newer models and have run into almost unbelievable problems. We found that we could not use our old profibus boards because the newer computers wolud not support the isa architecture.After contacting Siemens we were able to get the new PCI boards and software. Now it seems that these newer boards (profibus&DP) don't support the slave configuration. Is there anyone out there that has conquered this problem, we really think there must be a way to upgrade our computers withiut having to change our complete system.

Hello Gordie;
Please give more specific details on the communication setup (Master, slave numbers and type, links), processors involved (old and new models of cards) and configuration software you are using; the answers will be more to the point if we know what we are looking at.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

The card you had was a CP5412a2, which was for an ISA slot. It was discontinued a few years ago, when everyone was switching to PCI. The PCI version is a CP5611 or 5613. I prefer the CP5613, it costs a little more but has it's own processor, on board. Be aware, you will need a new version of Softnet to configure the network. The card comes with an older version of CD, don't use it. Order the licenced version of Softnet, which will give you the latest configuration software. The new version is supported by everything upto XP Pro sp1, not sp2.

Thanks for all replies. Our first problem was solved by using profibus FMS protocol instead of Dp which allowed use the master configuration. This was accoomplished by upgrading from WinCC 4.01 to WinCC 5.1. The new card CP5614 is now installed instead of 5412 - now all is well except for our communication between the new card and WinCC??? I guess our question now is how to configure this interface. Are we missing something? Any replies would be greatly appreciated - Gordie