MicroLogix 1400 MSG to CompactLogix

klawson2012

Hey,

I'm trying to send read and write msg instructions from a MicroLogix 1400 PLC to CompactLogix PLC. In the message file instruction settings I am trying to use the CIP Generic Communication Command. I've tried using different Service settings for my Target Device, but no luck. I keep recieving an "Error Code[Hex]: e0"

Any Ideas?

I can successfully send msg instructions from the CompactLogix to the MicroLogix 1400.

"E0h" is a ML Generic Error code and it identifies the "Expansion I/O Communication Module Error"; when MSG-ing from the ML's vantage point the CompactLogix CPU is "perceived" as an "expansion I/O Communication Module".
Since there are quite a few reasons you might get this error, you will have to "acquire" the CompactLogix's "response" to the MSG inquiry causing the "E0h" to be declared by the ML CPU.
I'd set up a CDM (Custom Data Monitor) and monitor the sub-element 22 of the MSG instruction for the CompactLogix "reply".
For example, if MSG X:Y returns "E0h", the CDM address to be monitored will be MSG X:Y.22.
There are 19 possible "responses" such as:
02H -Resource Unavailable
08H -Service Unsupported
09H -Invalid Attribute Value
10H -Device State Conflict
16H -Object Does Not Exist
etc.

Try running the suggested CDM and post the CompactLogix "answer"; if not listed above we might be able to let you know the reason the MSG instruction errors out.

Last edited:
klawson2012, why are you trying the message as CIP Generic ?

Message should be configured as 500CPU Write/Read instead.
You've also to configure the Multihop tab of MSG's settings.

Finally, you have to use the PLC/SLC Tag mapping inside RSLogix5000,since the CompactLogix processor doesn't support file structure equivalent to that of the ML family.

Try to read the following AB Knowledgebase technote:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33161

- fuzzy logic