Siemens V5.6 upgrade to V15

mass89

Hi,
I have S7 V5.6 and also want V15 (tia) (both installed at same time), can you do this with an upgrade as suggested on siemens website

"You have STEP 7 V5.4, V5.5 or V5.6 installed on your computer and you want to upgrade to STEP 7 Professional 2017 / V15. Here you need the Power Pack & Upgrade with the Combo Floating License. As download via OSD, article no .: 6ES7822-1AE05-0XC5 ."

Or do I need to purchase TIA completely separately?

Hi,
I have S7 V5.6 and also want V15 (tia) (both installed at same time), can you do this with an upgrade as suggested on siemens website

"You have STEP 7 V5.4, V5.5 or V5.6 installed on your computer and you want to upgrade to STEP 7 Professional 2017 / V15. Here you need the Power Pack & Upgrade with the Combo Floating License. As download via OSD, article no .: 6ES7822-1AE05-0XC5 ."

Or do I need to purchase TIA completely separately?

Combo license should do both, and they can install side by side. I think the same holds true for WinCC Flex, if you haven't made that leap into portal yet as well.

Fair warning on the OSD, make sure the right email address is provided. I've heard of some nightmares where the purchasing guy's email gets submitted, and it means you would need to convince him to go go download the licenses for you.

Feel free to use the Siemens compatibility checker tool:
https://support.industry.siemens.com/kompatool/pages/main/index.jsf?sitc=wwdfi10002

To be clear the upgrade converts the Step7 v5.6 license to a combined (combo) license for STEP7 PRO 2017 and TIA PRO V15.
So yes, you can install and run Step 7 Pro 2017 ("classic") and TIA PRO V15 in parallel.

You could also just purchase a regular license for TIA PRO V15, and keep your old STEP7 V5.6.
But this is much more expensive than the upgrade !

Trying to understand how Siemens handles licensing with TIA Portal. As an example if I have a System in V14 does that license run V14 and V13 or just 14.
Also with 15 being out, does that license run V15 too or does that require a license upgrade (and cost) to get to V15. Thank you in Advance

Awesome, thank you JesperMP, making the transition from AB to Siemens and still getting a grasp on the "new" world

I'll also add to what he said that each of those packages 11/12/13/etc can generally be installed and run in parallel from that same license. This can be important, because projects can be migrated to a newer version, but they can't be saved backwards: there is no "Save as V14" option in V15, V14 will not open a v15 project, but V15 can open a V14 one (even if only to migrate to V15). This means you may need lots of Portal installs available on your PC, depending on your version requirements. Each separate install is in the multiple gigs of disk space.

If you are an end user, you can often mandate that all equipment on your floor is version X, and use one version. If you are a machine builder, you can often freeze things once development is built, and keep churning things out. If you are an integrator, you probably need all of them (or at least recent versions) just in case.