+ - 10 Volt Analog

The Plc Kid

How does the _+ 10 volt analog signals work? I have used 0-10 many times but i am trying to solve some problems on a hydraulic controller that outputs -10 to +10 it seems?

How do the end devices determine if the 10 volts is + or -?

In this case it a hydraulic servo valve. I assume i will need a source that will do -10 to +10 and all i have is a 0-10/ 4-20ma source. Can anyone recommend one?

How do the end devices determine if the 10 volts is + or -?

The same way your multimeter does. There is always polarity with DC voltages. If you meter out a 24V power supply, and then swap your meter leads and meter is again, you would get +24V then -24V (or vice versa). It just depends which wire the +ve voltage is directed down.

Also, for a hydraulic valve, it is much simpler to have 0 volts correspond to the center position, than it would be to have 5 volts correspond to the center.

Plus, just think about what would happen to a servo valve or a motor drive using 0 to 10vdc for bidirectional operation, and a wire broke, or the controller faulted and the output went to zero...

With -10 to +10vdc, zero is stopped/centered, and the polarity corresponds to direction. bipolar voltage signals are much more suited to bidirectional controls.

Thanks guys. Makes sense now.

Anyone got a good suggestion for a voltage source instrument that will do -10 to +10?

Mine is just standard 0-10/4-20 ma

Use the motion controller to generate +/- 10 volts

Anyone got a good suggestion for a voltage source instrument that will do -10 to +10?
If you are using the HYD02 you should be able to generate +/- 10 volts using the direct drive command. I forget exactly what it is called. If you are using the installed RMC100 then it has a open loop command 'O' that will let you generated +/- 10000 mv or +/- 10 volts.

The point is that the motion controllers have this stuff. Don't make it hard.

Plus, just think about what would happen to a servo valve or a motor drive using 0 to 10vdc for bidirectional operation, and a wire broke, or the controller faulted and the output went to zero...
yes!!! Or the power to the controller failed.

On a +-10V hydraulic servo valve? Good luck

Servo Valve provides position, velocity, and pressure control.

- Duplomatic DXJ3 Series servo-proportional valve features linear force motor direct driving zero overlap spool. NFPA standard D03 footprint offers integration into standard manifold systems, and neutral fail safe position provides simple control. Operating up to 5000 psi with flows to 10 gpm, DXJ3 incorporates on board electronics that operate on ±10 V or 4/20 mA control signal. Maximum response time is 12 ms with <0.2% hysteresis through closed loop LVDT.

Not sure what exactly you are trying to do or what the problem is but if you are looking for a +/- 10V source you can control just haywire up a PLC and and analog output card, pretty much any of them can be configured for +/- 10V.

What exactly is your problem?