ASCII Comms

Mike990

Hi,

I have an issue with an old west controller communicating to a PC via RS232.
Does anyone know of a program that I can use to send responses automatically to ASCII commands?

E.g when the PC sends L1M?* I would like to via a terminal program automatically reply with L1M00130A* to emulate the west controllers response and confirm that the PC is working.

Thanks

Mike

Hi,

I have an issue with an old west controller communicating to a PC via RS232.
Does anyone know of a program that I can use to send responses automatically to ASCII commands?

E.g when the PC sends L1M?* I would like to via a terminal program automatically reply with L1M00130A* to emulate the west controllers response and confirm that the PC is working.

Thanks

Mike

I'm dating myself, but kermit has a module to do this kind of thing, I think it's called expect.

Tcl has an expect module. I've also done this with VBA in eXcel, to execute a dialog and get data from [telnet horizons.jpl.nasa.gov 6775].

Those are all general solutions, if the L1M?* is the only thing you want to respond to, then any language that can open the comN port should be able to do it.

summat like this https://www.eltima.com/products/serial-port-monitor/ may do what you want; the purchase price is a fraction of what it would take in time to build this from scratch.

Last edited:
Many years ago I wrote a terminal program for testing Eurotherm controllers and PLC communications in Delphi it is a standalone exe you could configure up to 16 commands to respond to, these were flexible i.e. you typed in the responses expected from the controller and the replies sent to the controller
so in essence it worked both ways it is a little complicated to set up as it depends which is the master I will see if I still have it, I know it works on all versions of windows up to win7, not tried it on win10 I will see if I still have it. It does have a slight bug that I never bothered to fix where if you turned off the coms with the open/close button and it was communicating at the time it would lock into a loop, but never bothered to correct it as pulling the lead out then pressing close coms it worked ok. But DR is right there are a number of terminal programs out there that allow you to configure response data.

+1 for termite

That, or buy a 1757-L85E, slave an L63 a few racks over, and transmit ASCII.

Decisions, decisions.