Pilz communication with Studio 5000?

matty-q

Hi Guys,

First post here!

I'll be working with PILZ Safety in a few weeks time, it will be communcating with Allen bradley, Studio 5000.

I was hoping that someone might have a guideline, step by step maybe of how to get them Communicating, configuring the IO etc.

Any reply will be hugely appreciated. :nodi:

Kind Regards
Matt

Pilz makes a lot of different units, with many communication options. I am most familiar with the Profibus units.
What model will you be using, what communication method?

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't got enough information from the project yet, I assumed they would all be similar. It' will be thernet Communication.

Matt

The PILZ units are easy to setup, discrete cards to the left, analog to the right of the cpu. The Programming is straight forward and easy to understand, (unusual for a German brand). I picked up the programming in an hour of so, standard Function blocks. The communications will be you biggest hurdle, but the documentation is decent.

The PILZ units are easy to setup, discrete cards to the left, analog to the right of the cpu. The Programming is straight forward and easy to understand, (unusual for a German brand). I picked up the programming in an hour of so, standard Function blocks. The communications will be you biggest hurdle, but the documentation is decent.

You don't say!

I once worked on a German made machine w/o any supporting documentation. The machine was made for czechoslovakia, so the HMI was in czech, obviously it was also using step 7 which is not my forte. Half of machine components were missing/stolen(you know Czech was a communist country, right?). I keep plowing thru it and eventually miracle did happen. Thanks goodness :=)

The Pilz stuff will do Eth/IP either natively or through a gateway module. They are usually added as a Generic Ethernet Module in Studio5K with mapped input and output assemblies. For example, you can use a PNOZ m B1 with inbuilt ports or a PNOZ m B0 with a PNOZ m ES Ethernet/IP getway. Note that this is not CIP safety or safety over Ethernet, but rather just Ethernet I/O for doing things like flagging alarms or sending statuses back and forth.