Wiring encoder output to PLC

ecampos

I have few existing machines with Omron PLCs in them that I need to get the output from an encoder into. There are several output options available for the encoder I am looking at and I am not sure which is best for my application. Attached is a screenshot from the wiring guide for the encoder. I have never dealt with "open collector" outputs before.

The way this diagram reads to me is that if I want to get my encoder output into a "sinking" (0V common) input card on my PLC, I need to order the open collector output option and tie my input to +24V through a resistor, or order the pull-up resistor output and I can connect the encoder output directly to my PLC input. Am I correct that either of these options are viable? Is there any functional difference or benefit to using one or the other of these output options?

encoder output.jpg

Attachment shows wiring for model CP1L PLC with Open Collector Encoder. This model has built-in high speed inputs suitable for reading encoder pulses.
For other models you will need a high-speed counter module to capture encoder data.