PLC5 RIO With SLC500 Rack (1747-ASB)

Johnpath

I use the RIO Scanner of a PLC5/40 to talk with different item on a RIO Network. One of them is a SLC500 Rack (with a 1747-ASB).
The SLC500 rack has the following Hardware (in logic order) :
- 1746-IB16
- 1746-IB16
- 1746-OB16
- 1746-OB16
- 1746-NO4I
- 1746-NI4
- 1746-NI4
- 1746-NI4
- Empty Slot

Starting Rack is configure to be 1, starting group 0. This gives me a full Rack (starting at 010 until 017 for the addressing)
I have no problem interracting with the first 4 modules which are Digital. The input and output operates as expected.
The problem is with the analog modules. I've tried to write values to the NO4I Modules using BTW in the PLC5, as follow :
BTW
Generic Block transfer
Rack : 001
Group : 4
Module : 0
Control Block : BT19:6
Data File : N50:25
Lenght : 4
Continuous : No (yes doesn't matter)

The Problem is the BTW always gives error code -9 (The block transfer timeout, set in the instruction, timed out before completion.)

Is the BTW is the proper way to do it? Is there another way I should try?

Thanks for your help!

welcome to the forum ...

on the 1747-ASB module -

double-check the setting of Switch 3-7 ...

OFF = Block Transfer mode ...

if this isn't your problem, I suggest that you give us ALL of the DIP switch settings - from the PLC-5 chassis backplane - and from the 1747-ASB module ...

hope that works ...

and if you haven't heard about these, check them out when you get a chance ...

1746-RL41 and 1746-RL51 ...

if I remember correctly, these replacement "label kits" can convert the LEDs on your digital modules from DECIMAL (for SLC) to OCTAL (for PLC-5) ... this can help with a lot of "addressing confusion" during those 3:00 A.M. troubleshooting jobs ...

It worked fine, but once in a while I still have ER bit set out of the BTW instead of the DN bit.

Anyway the device I'm controlling takes the value I send, so it seems to be good enough for now.

Thanks again!

glad we were able to help ...

once in a while I still have ER bit set out of the BTW instead of the DN bit.

is the cabling physically set up correctly in a "daisy-chained" pattern? ... (no "stars" allowed) ... how about terminating resistors at each end of the cable? ... also - how many Block Transfers are you trying to execute at any one time? ... (in some cases you'll need to "stagger" them over several scans) ...

PS ... and incidentally, thank you for a very detailed "first post" ... we usually have to fight to get that much information about a system ...

Last edited:
You're right, about the terminating resistance. I put them on before I sent the last reply but I did not look at the BTW after to confirm it was OK. No more ER bit set anymore.

Regards,