Redundant Siemens S7-1515R with Modbus issues

orense

Hi,

I am currently running two S7-1515R, in redundancy connected with devices through an MRP ring. One of the devices that are connected to the MRP ring, is an IM 155-6 Profinet node, and in the two outer slots of it I have two CM PtP, which each communicate with some other devices through Modbus RTU.

This is working well, but I have noticed a strange thing about the Modbus cards. When I run the CPUs in redundancy, and I turn the Primary CPU into stop mode, the Backup becomes the Primary, and everything works well. The Modbus communication does not stop communicating at that point.
However, when I turn the one I stopped back into Run, the Modbus stops working, until the one I booted has synced up with the one which is now Primary. Once that has finished, Modbus starts back up by itself. It takes about 90 seconds or so.

I found an SFC which is called RH_CTRL. With this I am able to determine when the CPUs should start synching back up, so that it does not do the usual sync up when I put the new backup PLC into run. So, even if I put the CPU back into run, it will not do any synch until I given it permission.

However, even if I tell it not to synch up and it does not synch, I still get the issues with the Modbus cards when I put the CPU into run.

I do not know why this could become an issue, since the CPU is not participating in synching or running a program, since it wont do that until synced-up. Only change made was change from stop to run.

Any ideas ?

Last edited:
1515R syncing and Run-reduntant takes more cycle time than running solo CPU. Syncing can take even more time than run-reduntant cycle time.

Is it possible that cycle time on syncing phase is more than your timed pulse for enabling modbus block.

Synging has this note on manual:
Processing communication functions. The execution of parts of functions is limited and delayed. The system makes up the delays in all functions after SYNCUP.

p.s I have programmed modbus to CM PtP on 1515R system. I didn't notice this issue that time.

Last edited: