Memory problem S7 CPU 318-2

ojz0r

Hello all.

I have some problems with the Load Memory RAM on a Siemens S7 CPU 318-2 (6ES7 318-2AJ00-0AB0 fitted with a 512kb flash MC 6ES7 951-0KJ00-0AA0) on one of our machines.
I need to make some basic changes in the program and adding some minor new functions but the load memory ram is full so i cant download the block or any block to the CPU.
The memory bar under Module Information looks like this:

memory.gif

When i go online and look at the blocks it says one third of them are in RAM in the Load Memory while the rest is in EPROM.

I havent worked much with S7-300 other then updating and downloading blocks so im not sure what to do and this is a big and advanced machine so im a bit afraid of screwing something up.
I would really like to fix this memory issue its really bugging me :(

I appriciate any help on this i can get :)

Try this:

1. Stop the CPU (select CPU object. Menu: PLC - Diagnostic/Setting - Operating Mode)

2. Transfer the blocks from your integral load memory to your flash memory. (select 'Blocks' folder. Menu: PLC - 'Download User Program to Memory Card')

Just an after thought - do a 'Compress' of your work memory while you have the CPU stopped - it makes a better job of it than when it's running.

If there's still not enough space after a compress, you could delete the block (you're trying to download) in the 'Online view'. Make sure the PLC is stopped to avoid any unpleasant consequences.

krk: i clicked that button but i got an internal warning from step7 something about removing something so didnt dare to do it befor the weekend.
Ive tried to press the compress button but it wont compress prolly cours its 100% used.

Sparkz: as i said above it doesnt compress anything.
But does it free up memory if i delete blocks?
I was afraid of trying incase it didnt free up space so i couldnt get the block back.

I did a "Download User Program to Memory Card" and it worked, now i have 0% in the RAM and i can update the program again :)

Thank you all for you help :)