PLC 5 Migration to 1756

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I'm looking at a migration that has (10) 1771 chassis and (2) 1794 chassis. They have 1771-SDN and DH+. They also have a PV-1200 Enhanced just to make things fun.

All the migrations I've done so far have been small simple 2 chassis and maybe a few drives nothing like this.

The customer has asked for a staged migration. My simple plan is as follows.

1st stage Replace the 5/40E with an ASB module (that the customer has in stock). Move the DeviceNet to a 1756 platform. 1756-RIO module to handle all the RIO traffic. 1756-DH/RIO for the DH+ traffic. Hit the start button and watch it all work flawlessly.

2nd stage Replace the PV Enhanced with a 5310 or PV+ 7

3rd / 4th stage start migrating everything from RIO to EIP. 1794-ASB to 1794-AENTR. This will probably be with 1771-1756 adapter chassis or if time allows rewire to 1756 IO directly.

So what pitfalls do you see? I can't find the old Rockwell Migration manual that I once had printed out. I can't find the online version either.

it looks like a good plan but I would install the PV+ first
if you have a 5/40E the new PV+ can communicate over ethernet the older PV on DH+ don't do well over DH+ may have trouble communication. this way you have a major part completed without any down time.
You can leave the old racks and change them over to ethernet one at a time after the new program in ready.
If you use aliases linked to the real I/O the just change the aliases when u are ready
minimum down time

Jeff, what model of 1756 are you using? If going to an L8x processor, there's a few differences between that flavor and the earlier series. Rockwell has a reference manual to explain the differences.

I've done a couple PLC5 to CLX conversions in the past year. One of the main issues we had was the block transfers to analog cards in the formerly local PLC5 rack were much slower in the Logix via 1756-DHRIO. I'm guessing this is because the 1771-ASB can only handle one BT at a time. In one case, we ended up moving a high speed counter card over to the 1756 rack during "phase 1" because the BTR update time was too slow.

I haven't worked with the 1756-RIO, nor have we had to convert DeviceNet, so I cannot offer any thoughts in those areas. Moving DNet over in phase 1 sounds like a good plan, though.

Jeff,

I will make firstly make comment on your final stages..

the 1794-ASB to AENTR is straightforward, we managed about 40 of these in an upgrade project.
using the migration kit for 1771 to 1756 is fine, but you need to think about the extra space you will need for the 1756 rack, both width and depth - not every panel is suitable. It does save a lot of wiring time. The only pitfall we had there was the fact that digital output card converters have 4 internal fuses, which are non-standard Littelfuses - we blew a couple and it took us time to get spares for them from Farnell as Rockwell do not stock them.

I do not recall the devicenet upgrade being a problem, going from a 1771-SDN to the 1756-DNB.

Never worked with the 1756-DH, but the RIO conversion was more about watching out what the software conversion did not convert for the remote racks, likes of analogs, although we have more of an issue going forward, as we use the flex racks, and you do not have the user interface for configuring the analog cards, so you have to go back to interrogating data tables for channel configuration and scaling.