CompactLogix BootP DHCP tool

kirk

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a Compactlogix with a 1768-L34 Processor and two 768-ENBT network cards.

I assign a IP address b adding a relationship and we are good to go, BUT when I try to disable the BOOTP button, it doesn't stick, so every time you cycle power you have to reassign the IP.

What is the trick to get it to take?

When BOOTP has delivered an IP to the module, you have to click again on the specific entry in the scrolling list before hitting "Disable BOOTP", otherwise BOOTP doesn't know where to send the command.

ALways worked for me.

But if it doesn't work, once the controller is on the network at an assigned IP, you can always browse to it with RSLinx and get to the port configuration. There you can disable BOOTP/DHCP

What I noticed on our screwy network was that I had to setup the NIC in my PC to "address card automatically" to get it to see the MAC address in BootP, and then use a static IP in my PC to actually set the address in the target.

The other thing to realise is that once BOOTP has set the IP address into the module, your PC must be in the same subnet for it to be able to deliver the "Disable BOOTP" command to the module.

You may be "blinding" it by setting an IP address that is not compatible with your laptop.

Also, on one certain version of the BOOTP tool, the Disable BOOTP button doesn't actually work. There's a "Disable BOOTP" option in one of the menus that does. There was a lengthy thread about this issue not too long ago - the RA knowledgebase article about it was posted there.