OPC Server Question

kdcui

Lifetime Supporting Member
Question about servers in general. Bear with me, I am kind of a noob when it comes to OPC servers.

Does this sound right:

GE Fanuc distributes the IGS OPC server for use with their HMI/SCADA programs. When the FIX database manager says "IGS Driver" it just means it is pointing to the IGS Server application (ie. IO Address field).

Question: to get IGS OPC Server to talk to Allen Bradley devices, I need to have the driver form Rockwell which presumably costs $$$?

Why does FIX need an OPC Server to talk to GE PACs? RSView / FTView can interface directly through RSLinx, or in that case is RSLinx acting as the OPC server?

Am I right in the statement that each vendor for a given SCADA package will usually have their own OPC Server to work with their product, but those OPC Servers can talk to mostly any device given it is supplied the correct driver?

Thanks.

To get the IGS OPC server to talk to AB, you do NOT need a driver from Rockwell. You just have to purchase the IGS driver license (otherwise it will time out after 2 hours)

There are several ways you can get the data from PLC to your ifix. If you define the driver in the System Configuration and use the database manager, it does not use the OPC part (as I understand). To use IGS (or anything else, like RSLinx) as OPC server, you have to run a little exe from the Dynamics directory (dataserverInstaller.exe) and add it. It then shows up under "Data servers" in ifix animation dialog box.

Hope this helps,
tom

Well, we are using the iFix database manager, but we seem to be running through the IGS server.

So in my database tag properties, I selected IGS Industrial Gateway Server as my Driver, and for my I/O Address is use:
Channel.Device.Tag

In this case the Channel and Device are set up and named in our IGS OPC Server application on our node (configured in the SCU)and point to whatever PLC we are looking at. The Tag is just the memory address on the controller.

In my SCU file, I don't see anything set up referencing the IGS driver.

Last edited: