Click PLC Field Experience

I used one about three years ago. Solid little PLC, for the most part. I used it because it has a 5V input card, which I needed for interfacing with another piece of equipment. Still going strong, as far as I know.

Serial COMs to a A.D. GS2 VFD sucked. I never did get it working; I had to resort to using digital inputs on the drive to do what I needed. The serial COMs may have gotten better since then - I haven't checked. It didn't help that A.D. has no programming example code for serial COMs with the CLICK, and their documentation regarding it is spotty as well.

It seems to be the trend with A.D.'s newer controller offerings - get them out as quickly as possible, documentation and example programming be dammed... but I digress.

If you need a low cost PLC to do simple combinational logic, with a minimum of COM's, the CLICK is a good choice.

-rpoet

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I have started work on a couple of jobs that I think a Click PLC would be perfect for. The problem is I have zero experience with them in the field. I have one on my test bench and I have played with it some but never installed one for a customer.

What is your experience with the Click? Any issues or failures?

The panels will be installed outside in areas that can get very cold (-30F) which I know is below the specs of the Click. I am thinking about installing a small heater in the panel.

Just give my your thoughts.
I can't speak for -30F but

I had one installed for about a year outside at a plant in Harriburg, PA. Never had any issues with it. The temp got down to -10F a few times that year I'm sure.

Also side note I LOVE CLICKs for simple little machines. You can't beat the price and the really intuitive free software for little stuff. I've used them on dozens of machines.

I, too, have used many as a cost-effective control solution. They have yet to fail on me.

One note that you should keep in mind - if the machine is off (that is, the PLC is powered down) for about a week, the data retention resorts to your programmed default value. Some models allow you to add a battery, which keeps the data retention active for over a year.

One note that you should keep in mind - if the machine is off (that is, the PLC is powered down) for about a week...

I also found the same.... mine also would fault out, all I need to do is cycle the power again and the fault would clear and it would start running, its not been a major issue

I used one about three years ago. Solid little PLC, for the most part. I used it because it has a 5V input card, which I needed for interfacing with another piece of equipment. Still going strong, as far as I know.

Serial COMs to a A.D. GS2 VFD sucked. I never did get it working; I had to resort to using digital inputs on the drive to do what I needed. The serial COMs may have gotten better since then - I haven't checked. It didn't help that A.D. has no programming example code for serial COMs with the CLICK, and their documentation regarding it is spotty as well.

It seems to be the trend with A.D.'s newer controller offerings - get them out as quickly as possible, documentation and example programming be dammed... but I digress.

If you need a low cost PLC to do simple combinational logic, with a minimum of COM's, the CLICK is a good choice.

-rpoet

I used a lot of these before the Micro800 series took off, including several installations running PowerFlex drives over Modbus. I prefer the Micro800 now, but the Click is pretty solid for the money.