Siemens PLCs

MikeyN

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello to the Knowledgeable Masses,

Our company is looking to dabble in the world of Siemens PLCs and HMIs. I am going to order a starter kit to play around with, so i can get familiar with the platform. I have worked with Rockwell products for many years now, everything from Logix5 to Logix5000, PB32 to FactoryTalk View ME, with a little RSView32 and SE mixed in there, and RSNetworx. I have a few questions that I hope can be answered here.

I am going to order the Step7 starter bundle with a SIMATIC S7-1200 and a KTP400 HMI. It includes the software, Step7 Basic, in the bundle. Does anybody know how long the license is good for? I am wondering if it is a 21 day trial, a 1 year rental, or a full term single PC license.

Will the Step7 Basic Software be enough to program the PLC and HMI, or will I need to plan on getting more software?

Are there any significant limitations to the Basic version of the software? For example, one can only program in ladder logic because function block diagrams are disabled.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Mikey

If you already have that much experience with AB, why would your company want to do a 180 degree turn around.

That just sounds counter-productive!

I often have to work on existing Siemen's systems. I use TIA portal to work on the 1200 and 1500 plcs.
I don't think Starter Step-7 will work with the newer processors.
But..I could be wrong.

Does anybody know how long the license is good for? I am wondering if it is a 21 day trial, a 1 year rental, or a full term single PC license.

Its a full version and the lic is on the USB drive, you will just transfer to your PC

Will the Step7 Basic Software be enough to program the PLC and HMI, or will I need to plan on getting more software?

(MY UNDERSTANDING) Yes the software is Basic but the only difference is the CPU's that is supports, the Pro will support 300's (not all) and 1500's but the Basic is only good with the 1200's and HMI's but its fine for what you are doing

Are there any significant limitations to the Basic version of the software? For example, one can only program in ladder logic because function block diagrams are disabled.

See above... I dont think function wise there is any difference

The Basic version of TIA portal that is included in the starter kit is for S7-1200 family CPU and the basic HMI panels only. I believe it is a one year license, your distributor should be as to verify that.
The 1200 is a nice platform, I am biased, but it is much better than the AB equivalents.
Plus, when / if you move to a larger platform, the software is the same. No relearning. Just upgrade the license.

I think it is a great and cheap way to get started. If you decide to come to the Siemens side (we've got cookies), you can always upgrade to a higher version.

If you already have that much experience with AB, why would your company want to do a 180 degree turn around.

That just sounds counter-productive!

We are looking to get away from the Rockwell money pit that we have found ourselves in. We have been presented with a great opportunity to upgrade many of our antique machines (roughly 75% obsolescence) and want to check out our options for the future. Plus it's a new toy to play with, and who doesn't love new toys? And cookies, who can argue with cookies? :ROFLMAO:

Hi Mike,

I don't think there is a time on the license
I was not sure with the 1200 based kit - the last starter kit I purchased was for S7-1500 where the license is valid for 365 days.

I believe you need TIA Portal for the S7-1200's, I don't know about the starter pack, but as already stated the permanant licence comes on a usb stick and is transfered to your harddrive.

The basic license with the S7-1200 kits is a lifetime floating license with updates to newer versions available for one year from purchase. The software can be installed on multiple machines. Using the license manager, it is very easy to drag the license from a computer to a USB stick then from that stick to another machine. The license can also me moved over a network but I haven't done that yet.

The Basic version of TIA portal that is included in the starter kit is for S7-1200 family CPU and the basic HMI panels only. I believe it is a one year license, your distributor should be as to verify that.
The 1200 is a nice platform, I am biased, but it is much better than the AB equivalents.
Plus, when / if you move to a larger platform, the software is the same. No relearning. Just upgrade the license.

Honestly, I don't think the S7-1200 is a nice platform. I don't know te AB equivalent, but I have had several problems with the S7-1200, weak memory, versioning , firmware evolution, and block versions. Also, LIST and GRAPH don't exist.

For comparison, the ET200S CPU of Siemens is in my opinion much better and TIA portal compatible too.

For the time duration of the licence, the Siemens licences are not time limited unless it's a trial or a rent. It should be unlimited.

I bought an S7-1500 starter kit. No HMI, but TIA Portal license was only good for one year. TIA portal was V13. I bought this in preparation for an upcoming project in 2016.
Today, I have a PG Siemens laptop with full TIA professional license. Current project running on V14.

Honestly, I don't think the S7-1200 is a nice platform. I don't know te AB equivalent, but I have had several problems with the S7-1200, weak memory, versioning , firmware evolution, and block versions. Also, LIST and GRAPH don't exist.

For comparison, the ET200S CPU of Siemens is in my opinion much better and TIA portal compatible too.

For the time duration of the licence, the Siemens licences are not time limited unless it's a trial or a rent. It should be unlimited.

Geez.... The S7-1200 is a $400 plc
There isn’t an AB equivalent for the money