RSLogix 500 and 5000 licensing and versions

ryangriggs

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello. I have the opportunity to purchase a laptop which has licensed versions of RSLogix 500 and RSLogix 5000 installed:

• RSLogix 500 8.30.01
  • RSLogix 5000 Professional 19.02

I am currently working with projects built in:

• RSLogix 500 version 8.40.00 (CPR9)
  • RSLogix 5000 version 15.02.00

Would I be able to open, edit, download/upload and go online to these PLCs with the versions on this laptop? It doesn't have an active support contract, so I doubt I could get help from Rockwell.

I'm trying to determine if this is a good idea to purchase the laptop. Any suggestions/cautions/comments would be greatly welcomed.

Thank you!

500 doesn't care about versions. Except older version doesn't have newer SLC and micrologic.

5000 requires to you have matching version. So if you want to work on V15 then you need V15 installed on your PC. Does the seller have V15 on a CD? If so, you are entitled to add it.

Are you sure it's legit? Seems weird to sell a laptop with "licensed rockwell software" since it's multiple $$$ times the price of a laptop. Also, if it's legit then they should have the license activation available in case it crashes. One do NOT need active contract to get help with activation issues.

I am not 100% sure it's legit - so any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

They are definitely asking more than the price of the laptop :) but still a decent price considering all the software installed.

They stated that the original user simply doesn't need it anymore.

I don't have the serial numbers to confirm validity with Rockwell, so what caveats should I watch out for? How could they burn me on this? any specific questions I should as that would indicate legal vs illegal etc?

The return policy is 14 days, so I do have *some* flexibility.

Thanks again!

I'm also very skeptical that it's a legit software license.

If this is the Dell E6400 that pops up on eBay, you'll see that seller has sold quite a lot of Dell laptops with Rockwell Software on them over the years, suggesting that he's not really "buying it from somebody who doesn't need it anymore" but rather cloning the computers and selling pirated activations.

It's very likely that this computer uses the old style EVRSI activations (if it's that eBay seller he says so explicitly) so they will work with both RSLogix 500 and RSLogix 5000, and will work with both v19 and v15 of RSLogix 5000.

As mentioned you'll need a source for the installer for RSLogix 5000 version 15.

Unless they can get you the activation document then I wouldn't touch it. Period.

Even assume** it's legit you would have no recourse if the laptop crashes and you need to reactivate the license. the minimal you need is the serial # and product code. Ask them if they will transfer it.

https://activate.rockwellautomation.com/TransferRegistration

ETA: Ken is right on the old activation method. I forgot about that, which works before V20, I think. Oh, I found the bay listing. Can't believe this person haven't been busted yet.

Last edited:
Wow. That's why I asked the experts! :)

Yes it's an eBay Dell E6400. He's sold a few laptops (not E6400's) with "programming software" over the last year.

Yes he mentions using EVRSI activation.

So from what you're telling me, this is a pirated clone of someone's license, right?

The old adage "when it seems too good to be true" is validated again! :)

I have a particular peeve about these guys on eBay because the money they are taking in would otherwise have literally paid my wages when I worked for RA Support. It's not abstract at all to me.

It's been quite a while since RA did an emphasis patrol on eBay... in 2007 a couple of guys got Federal prison sentences for doing exactly what that eBay seller is doing. But I've never heard of the buyers being prosecuted for criminal copyright infringement.

OK well sadly I will have to look elsewhere... :( Thought I could gain access to a local copy of my tools and save some exchanging of dongles etc. Oh well. Listing duly reported to ebay.

Thanks for saving me some cash!

Logix 5000 V20 to Studio 5000 Upgrade

HI Guy's,
An old thread here, but I have a legit version of Logix 5000 V20 at a customer and they are needing me to upgrade them to Studio to support a new 5380 plc that is coming.

Does anyone know if there is an upgrade path with this older version? Support contract etc?
Does the support contract cover older versions of FT as well?

Hmmm I thought the customer would at least get some credit for having their version as the new perpetual one is $12K

It depends on what contract the customer has. I know our licenses include upgrade rights. Just install a new version of Studio 5000 and it activates with the same old RSLogix 5000 licenses we've had for years. But we do have Tech Connect contracts, etc.

I think licenses that aren't entitled to upgrades will block it in FTActivation manager? Maybe someone with more experience can chime in?

Try going to PCDC https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/Home.aspx click "Software Downloads by Serial Number"

Enter your serial number and product key, and it will tell you versions you are entitled for.