How to use the GSV to get the torque of Kinetix 300

Xu MingJiu

I real need you help me.:geek:
I have the controllogix 5563 and communication with Kinetix 300 via ethernet. Currently, all communication is ready and PLC can control this servo. But I want to get the torque from the driver of Kinetix 300. I jsut know that use GSV can do it. But I don't know how to configure parameters of object.
Have anybody help me?
Thanks.

The Get System Variables (GSV) instruction is used to read parameters or values from the controller operating system itself. It doesn't have access to parameters in a networked device.

AutoMax is referring to a feature that exists in other CIP Motion drives, where you can check a box to automatically read data every cyclic update. That feature does not exist on the Kinetix 300 because those drives are simple indexers and do not participate in the ControlLogix CIP Motion subsystem like the related Kinetix 350 drive does.

There are some automatically updated values, like Actual Position and Motor Current, but not the Output Torque.

There are also several "User Defined Data" tags at the bottom of the Input tag structure. There are two Integer type, and two Real type.

You can configure which parameters are presented in these tags by configuring them with the MotionView Onboard software (the browser-launched Java configuration software for the Kinetix 300).

This feature is described in the Kinetix 300 User Manual, in Chapter 7 on page 158.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2097-um001_-en-p.pdf

Let me tell you about the three days I spent trying to get MotionView Onboard to work, with different computers, different browsers, different Java runtimes, and various permissions and user authentication settings.

Turns out we'd installed a Kinetix 350, which doesn't have MotionView Onboard like the Kinetix 300.

Let me tell you about the three days I spent trying to get MotionView Onboard to work, with different computers, different browsers, different Java runtimes, and various permissions and user authentication settings.

Turns out we'd installed a Kinetix 350, which doesn't have MotionView Onboard like the Kinetix 300.

I've been on that train before! OUCH!

The Get System Variables (GSV) instruction is used to read parameters or values from the controller operating system itself. It doesn't have access to parameters in a networked device.

AutoMax is referring to a feature that exists in other CIP Motion drives, where you can check a box to automatically read data every cyclic update. That feature does not exist on the Kinetix 300 because those drives are simple indexers and do not participate in the ControlLogix CIP Motion subsystem like the related Kinetix 350 drive does.

There are some automatically updated values, like Actual Position and Motor Current, but not the Output Torque.

There are also several "User Defined Data" tags at the bottom of the Input tag structure. There are two Integer type, and two Real type.

You can configure which parameters are presented in these tags by configuring them with the MotionView Onboard software (the browser-launched Java configuration software for the Kinetix 300).

This feature is described in the Kinetix 300 User Manual, in Chapter 7 on page 158.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2097-um001_-en-p.pdf

Hi Ken Roach
Thank you for your help and I understand it.(y) And I have already tried to test data link for user defined data. that's ok. Just I have another question. Why the Kinetix 300 have not motor torque output. Is this just Kinetix 300 series without this parameters?

The feedback parameters from a Kinetix 300 are more limited than those from a Kinetix 350 or Kinetix 5500 or Kinetix 6500.

They are, in general, just little indexing drives. I've never used one in an application where it made sense to read the torque from it; either it generated enough torque to move the load, or it would fault on overload or following error.

The more complex CIP motion drives have things like Load Observer, but the 300 doesn't.

I think that your best estimate of output torque can be done by reading the Phase Current using the feedback parameters.