RX3i CPU 305 fault -loss of (or missing) rack, then "addition of rack"

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys,

I'm on site integrating for the first day on a project where I'm programming RX3i (CPU 305) controllers and have hit a snag. At the main water filter plant, they have a control panel that used to have four racks worth of 90-30 hardware. We've replaced it with RX3i hardware. When I load my code onto the controller, I get a fault and when I check the fault table, I see hundreds of repeated faults: one is "loss of, or missing rack" and then below that is "addition of rack". This repeats ad infinitum. I've attached a screen shot for reference:

ed3mYGe.png

Nothing seems out of place so I'm not sure what to look for and how to go about troubleshooting this. I'm wondering if the 1.0 under LOC is the rack in question? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

You are correct about "LOC" being the location. It goes RACK.SLOT.NODE(or point) What you see '1.0' would indicate the first rack in the sequence. You may want to verify that the DIP switches are properly set for sequence of the rack chain especially if you have a different number of racks in the new system. Also verify that all are of a firmware level supported by your RX3i CPU.

You may want to verify that the DIP switches are properly set for sequence of the rack chain

This is exactly what the issue was; the electrician and I managed to figure it out by accident when we took all the I/O modules off a backplane to inspect and boom, there they were...unbeknownst to me, that's how you set the addresses of each rack. Even more frustrating is that those switches aren't sliders, they're rockers so what "looks" to be "open" vs "closed" is opposite...we went in circles for a few minutes until we got that figured out too.

Thanks a million for the reply! We got everything squared away and it's all communicating now.