WW Archestra IDE - RPC Server Unavailable

Jimfletcha

I seem to have a gift for creating new and exciting ways to make stuff not work. To that end, here we go again!

My computer is running XP SP3. I have installed, on my computer, a VPC (Microsoft VPC 6.0.192.0) also with XP SP3, and has Wonderware 10.1/Archestra IDE 3.1 installed. My computer is on the <CompanyName> Domain. The account I log in to on the VPC is set up on the <SubDomain> Domain--that is being controlled by another VPC on another desktop--as an administrator. Also, I'm an admin on my local computer.

There exists a separate computer running Windows Server 2003. On this computer exists another VPC (Windows Server 2k3). The Galaxy I am trying to connect to is installed on this VPC (the account logs into the local machine, not to the <SubDomain>). It is set up, however, on the <SubDomain> domain.

Ok. Now that that is cleared up (hah), here's my problem. (Oh, and I didn't set it up like this and have no say in the matter, if that helps). I have, up until several days ago, been able to connect to the remote galaxy from my VPC. Seemingly randomly, I can no longer connect to the remote galaxy though the Archestra IDE. I can see the computer, ping both the computer name and IP address, and even browse shared files ON that computer underneath My Network Places, Microsoft Windows Network, etc. Interestingly, that computer can't see mine, but I figure that's unrelated. The error message that the IDE spits out at me is as follows:

Connect to Galaxy: The RPC server is unavailable (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA).

I've googled "0x800706BA" and "The RPC server is unavailable exception from hresult 0x800706BA" and tried pretty much every fix listed on the first page of both of those search results. I've tried everything from disabling Simple File Sharing to reinstalling Visual C++ and Visual Basic to asking Jesus (who is The Christ) to heal my Infernal Freaking Machine, but nothing has worked(thanks Jesus). Wonderware tech support is useless, my local supplier/tech support will "get back to me" which historically means "lawl dunno."

Anyone have any ideas?

Addendum: the length of time it's taking to connect, or rather fail to connect, leads me to think that it's timing out...

Last edited:
Does that use DCOM at all? Perhaps something changed with the DCOM security settings.
Has your account changed on the server?
As strange as it might sound, are the TIME and DATE correct (matching) between the server and your workstation? Kerberos (Windows Login Authentication Method) absolutely relies on times being correct to within a few minutes.

Well that is a new and unique method to introduce a problem. Does this equate to or result in new and exciting ways to trouble shoot I wonder??

Dan Bentler

My track record leads me to a resounding "no!" unfortunately...

Does that use DCOM at all? Perhaps something changed with the DCOM security settings.
Has your account changed on the server?
As strange as it might sound, are the TIME and DATE correct (matching) between the server and your workstation? Kerberos (Windows Login Authentication Method) absolutely relies on times being correct to within a few minutes.

To get it set up in the first place, I did nothing with DCOM. No changes have been made to my account on the server (no one messes with it, so I guess I'm assuming no changes). The time has to be synched? Never would have thought of that. Well, let me see...

Yup, time and date are the same.

Last edited: