RSLogix 500 warning

Beryl

Last week I found that a feature that has been embedded into RSLogix 500 for as long as I can remember was not working. As most anyone knows that has used RSLogix 500 the program in the PLC and the program file had to match to be able to go online with the PLC. (The offline and online checksum values had to match.) As I mentioned, last week I found that you could modify the offline file and still go online with out the normal warnings and having to upload the code from the PLC. I contacted Rockwell tech support and they were unable to tell me what the cause was. I informed them that the problem existed on all NT, 98 and W2K server systems. They recommended upgrading my version 6.0 RSLogix to the newest version V6.10.10. I did so on one of my PC’s and the problem did not go away. Tech support was able to duplicate the problem and found that in V6.0 this feature was broken. It sounds as though they are going to release a new version, V6.2 soon.
In the mean time to make certain your offline files match the online file you must manually check that the checksums match. To do this open the file and then double click on the Controller Properties and make note of the "Program Checksum". Then go online with the PLC and verify that the online program checksum matches if it does not. You will need to upload the current program from the PLC or find the correct file.
Again, this issue is found in any V6.0 or later release of RSLogix 500 standard or professional. Please keep this in mind, as it could be disastrous.

Beryl

I've never liked the way RSLogix does this anyway. I would prefer the option of browsing to the file that I want to use. Not the one that RSLogix thinks I need.

As it is now, only processor names that match will work. Of course you can change the processor name in the .rss file, but I would prefer it did it automatically. Also if RSLogix finds a file that it thinks it should use, that is the one it uses.

I had an online problem with RSLogix5 ver 6.0. It would NOT match the PLC with the program file, every time I tried to connect I had to re-upload, creating a new file using the descriptors of the program file.

AB support said this was a problem with Ver6.0 & to download the new version (ver 6.10 at that time.)

ChuckM:

How I get around this, I put all my customers files in a subdirectory of my RSlogix data files directory.
[C:\Data Files\RSLogix\customer1\file.rss]
I have RSLogix options set for data files in: C:\Data Files\RSLogix
When I go online & it looks for a match it wont find one in that directory, & I browse to the directory with the file I want.

Greg

That is pretty much how I do it too. I just wish it would give me the final say over which file I want to use.

FYI,
Just downloaded and tried out V6.2 and it does not solve the verification problems. There is no mention of the problem in the release notes.