Tripping the breaker

Hi all,

Not a PLC fault, an electrical one. But the electricity supplies a PLC. So I guess it counts.

I have a C63 3 phase MCB providing the circuit protection to a large industrial unit, loads of sockets, things this and that. I have a single phase robot controller plugged into the 13A ring in the building, as it is designed to be. On this I also have a few things wired up through other circuit breakers. A single phase C4 circuit breaker feeds some stuff, when I cause a short circuit on this (for testing of the systems reactions) it trips the C4 but also trips the C63. I assume this is because of load imbalance.

However, how do I stop this from happening? I don't really want to change the C63 breaker unless I absolutely have to as the landlord will have to do it I expect. I imagine it is just a design problem. Or an education problem on my behalf. Should I need a D type or B type breaker or am I missing the problem?

Any help on a postcard appreciated. Circuit breaker pictures attached if this helps.

IMG_20200731_122947.jpg IMG_20200731_122852.jpg

A short tripping a 4A breaker that also trips a 63A breaker is either a massive short or I would look elsewhere.

When the machine is running what is the measured current going through C63? If it is close to the limit then the small short could cause a problem.

If your amp meter has a peak see if the current through C63 goes too high when it trips (you may have to test on all 3 leads to find the one)

Directly above C63 in the photo is that part of another breaker, a fill-in plate or possibly a ground fault part of C63? If it is a ground fault it would trip immediately.

If your short circuit current is greater than 63 x 5 = 315A then both breakers will trip instantaneously. You "might" correct this by changing the 63A breaker to type D which will trip instantaneously at 630A

A short tripping a 4A breaker that also trips a 63A breaker is either a massive short or I would look elsewhere.

When the machine is running what is the measured current going through C63? If it is close to the limit then the small short could cause a problem.

If your amp meter has a peak see if the current through C63 goes too high when it trips (you may have to test on all 3 leads to find the one)

Directly above C63 in the photo is that part of another breaker, a fill-in plate or possibly a ground fault part of C63? If it is a ground fault it would trip immediately.

If your short circuit current is greater than 63 x 5 = 315A then both breakers will trip instantaneously. You "might" correct this by changing the 63A breaker to type D which will trip instantaneously at 630A

Hmm. I will have to ask the guy doing the testing what he did then. Will also get the info on the board. Not there this week and I didn't do the testing, just heard the problem and thought... try a B type instead of the C, must have misunderstood the problem. Chinese whispers all around.

Does C63 feed a transformer? If so, is there secondary xfrm circuit protection? If not add some. Also C63 appears to be labelled as Surge Protection. Hmmm. Upstream protection? Good luck

Last edited: