PLC For Senior Capstone Project

#FFFFFF

Hi guys,

Name's Jesse. I'm writing to express my ideas for my senior project coming up. I currently work as a system integrator - doing everything from PLC programming, HMI design, networking, troubleshooting, panel checkouts, field wiring, startups, panel design, CAD, you name it. I'm a little late to the school game at 27 y/o but i'll have my EE degree in a just a few more months.

My project is going to utilize my already existing watercooled computer. I want to develop an HMI to monitor water temp, water flow, ambient air temp, fan speed, pump speed while being able to control fan speed (pwm) and pump speed (pwm). My motherboard also features a few probes so I can grab cpu vcore and memory voltage. I'd also like to incorporate cpu core temp but it seems like that is only available through software .. The idea is to have this system separate from my computer so that I can monitor these parameters in real-time for overclocking and display them on the HMI using an external monitor. I want to even go as far as have some kind of fan profiles (Silent / performance, etc) and have pump speed increase as water temp increases. And because why not, I think it would be nice to have anyway and I haven't seen anybody do this sort of thing yet.

I chose to use a PLC rather than an Arduino because my employer has agreed to let me use a PLC, AI/AO cards, small cabinet, TBs, relays, PBs, wire, and whatever else I may need to do my project. I also have a personal GE iFix development key to design the HMI. So essentially, this project will cost me next to nothing.

I do have a couple questions for you folks though:

- I'm planning to use is a MicroLogix 1100 or 1400 - which one is better for PWM control? This is an area I haven't touched upon at work yet and one I would like to better familiarize myself with for the future.
- Should I ditch the PLC and just use an Arduino / LabView?

:unsure:

Either ML1100 or ML1400 can do PWM with no problem. It's very easy to set up. Just make sure you use the model with transistor outputs, obviously. Sounds like a fun project!

Beckhoff do soft PLC -TwinCat 2 , The company philosophy is that the development envioronment should be free. Think it runs for 30days with out license.

or Look at Codesys most of the soft PLC is free / opensource

Either ML1100 or ML1400 can do PWM with no problem. It's very easy to set up. Just make sure you use the model with transistor outputs, obviously. Sounds like a fun project!

Beckhoff do soft PLC -TwinCat 2 , The company philosophy is that the development envioronment should be free. Think it runs for 30days with out license.

or Look at Codesys most of the soft PLC is free / opensource

Thank you both!