PLC output to solenoid valve.

colehan

Hey all,

Here is the question. I have a IDEC FC5a-D16RK1 PLC which will be controlling three MAC valves (two series 52 and one series 56).

I am planning on running two of the valves with the two transistor outputs on the PLC and the third valve with a relay output, since the PLC only has two transistor outputs.

After reading some forums on this site I am a little worried about controlling the two valves with the transistor outputs.

Specs on the PLC: 24VDC with 6x relay outputs and 2x transistor sink outputs. It specifies a max inrush current of 50A but does not specify anything for max current of the transistor outputs (or at least nothing that I see)

The valves are 24VDC (5.3W) solenoid valves. If I am calculating this right then the current for the valve is .221A? The valves however will be operating at fairly high frequencies (up to 10Hz).

What I am concerned about is burning up the transistor outputs. Would it be more prudent to run all three valves off relay outputs? Or with such a low current should I not be concerned?

Thanks,

Cole

Last edited: