Coms problem between GX Developer and FX1N

wire3carl

I has just bought a Mitsubishi FX1N PLC but am unable to communicate with GX Developer using a SC-09 cable. o_O

All other Mitsubishi PLC's in my factory are OK (FX1S, FX2N) it is just this one.

I've spoken to the Mitsubishi UK Helpdesk and they say it should work so the PLC must be faulty. Changed for a new one but still the same.

Any help please

Last edited:
I don't have GX Developer in front of me, but there is a screen somewhere, "transfer options". If you can get into that, check your comm settings and do a "test connection" Remember to hit OK at the bottom once you get the "successful connection" result or it will return to whatever setting it was on that caused the malfunction in the first place. Also make sure nothing else is running on your computer that may have grabbed your com port.

Good luck,
tommy23t

I don't have GX Developer in front of me, but there is a screen somewhere, "transfer options". If you can get into that, check your comm settings and do a "test connection" Remember to hit OK at the bottom once you get the "successful connection" result or it will return to whatever setting it was on that caused the malfunction in the first place. Also make sure nothing else is running on your computer that may have grabbed your com port.

Good luck,
tommy23t

I second the comm port point. I have an AB Pic driver that hogs my com port. If I need to use the SC-09 cable I have to uninstall my com port driver and reboot. Too much hassle if you ask me. I go via usb transparent now through the HMI. Much better.

-Dave

Thanks for the replies.

Took the second FX1N PLC to a friend at another company who is using the GPP Win software and he also was unable to connect to it.

He had a FX1N in his stores so we wired it up and both softwares (GX Developer and GPP Win) were able to connect to it useing the standard default settings.

SO, two faulty Mitsubishi FX1N PLC's from the same supplier. How unlucky is that. They are sending me a third so fingers crossed with this one.

I am using a standard serial cable but it won’t connect. The error mesg says : possible wrong com speed. Possible cable failure. I’ve also tried connecting via USB through a moxa serial converter.

The port of FX PLCs is not a standard RS232 port, it's a RS422 port, the SC-09 cable has a RS232 to 422 converter inside, you need this cable

Then look in the card manual which type of serial port it uses, the connector (DB-9) is different than the real FX1N (Mini-DIN)

It uses a DB9 connector. RS232 & RS422 supported. I’ve tested the cables on a microchip programmer and they’re ok. I think there might have been some false advertising. There’s also a gnd rx tx 5v port on it. I bought it to control a simple cardboard tray former on a tight budget, but I’m now thinking I might have to buy a proper plc.

I don't think the same DB9 supports both RS-232 & RS-422, most likely it is a RS-232 port.
In addition, the pin assignment for RS-232 for DB9 is normalized, whereas with RS-422 there is no standard and each manufacturer makes its own assignment. Maybe RS-422 is that white connector next to the DB-9