Trainer Project

AxiomVerse

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and wanted to reach out to the community for some helpful advice on a PLC trainer project I am working on. I recently purchased a Micrologix 1400 (1766-L32BXBA) and am hoping to create a trainer that will allow me to expand my knowledge of PLCs and programming. Along with the PLC, I also purchased:

3 DPDT 24V Relays
2 2-Position Selector Switches
1 3-Position Selector Switch
3 Push buttons
3 indicators
Rhino 24V Power Supply

I wanted to see what other equipment would be useful in learning more how to program. Soon, I think it would be cool it get a small drive and motor so that i could practice some PID tuning and motor controls. Any input on how to make this trainer more valuable to me while learning would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Axiom

I would get an HMI and maybe something you could tap into the analog I/O on the PLC. Possibly get something Modbus and explore those features. The list can go on.

Anyway, have fun!!!

Thanks for the replies, those are great ideas. I still have some room left in the budget, so I will get back to shopping. Can't wait til everything finally gets delivered so I can start building this thing. Thanks again guys.

you didn't mention it - so just to be sure - do you already have the RSLogix500 software needed to program your processor? ... note that the FREE download version will not be sufficient ...

Last edited:
Thanks for commenting on the post Ron. I do have a license for the standard version of RSLogix500. I decided to go with a used Red Lion HMI that I found online. I like that the Crimson software is free. What do you guys think of the Red Lions?

I was also kinda thinking about padees point about Modbus communication. I was thinking maybe I could put some static values in some registers in the Red Lion and maybe practice having the PLC grab them and push them back into the Red Lion in a different register. I dont have much experience at all with Modbus. So I was hoping that would be possible.

Red Lion's Rock!

Because you are taking the initiative yourself to learn this, I may have a few useful gadgets I could send you to help you along.

I do have a spare 1763-NC01, an ADAM 4055-BE DIO Module, some RS485 wire, and maybe a few more other items I could put in a flat rate box and shoot it your direction. I'll poke around one of my storage units this weekend and see what I can find. I got a ton of stuff!

My end goal in life is to leave the way I came in. Naked, cold, and with nothing! Ha!

Last edited:
There are 12bit 0-10V inputs. You should provide the input range to at least one of them and setup the scaling functions for temperature, pressure, and other values.

Thanks DaDaDadeo, I agree with you there. I really think it would be cool to get some actual transmitters in there and do some simulating with some real gear. Thanks for the input man. You all have a good night.