RSLogix 5000 Status Flags

CJO

Hello all, recently i have been using some practical lab examples to brush up on my programming abilities. What i have noticed is that although my ladder logic works when i program the scenario given to me, it differs from the one my lab shows as the finished product. I have noticed that the examples use "bit status flags" and i was wondering if this method has some benefits that i am not aware of? for example, instead of programming a switch with a physical input address to operate a given output it will instead use that switch to operate more involved latch/unlatch rungs which will then turn on the output. I hope that example is sufficient.

Example

Hope this works. Basically i used the mode A-C switches in a more direct way without using the C1_C2_Primary latch/unlatch.

RS1.jpg RS2.jpg

Often a specific set of states used to trigger one output is also used as part of determining other outputs. Rather than totally replicating the first rung they will combine the result of that first rung into a single bit (and it helps if that bit is tagged with an informative name). That bit then is used not only for the first output but also others which are dependent on the same logic.

[Edit after seeing your pictures] Without seeing more logic the writer may have been intending to preserve the mode status through a power off. Check for the corresponding logic which switches the status of these flags.

Last edited: