Heller milling machine controls and drive

naveen

N
Heller machine - Milling machine (bed type)
we have Heller milling machine (MFD. year 1983).
It has 3 axis each with DC Servo motor(Make: Inland DC motor.
The control is through an Inland DC drive for all three axis.
Now we donot have spare for these drive and the LED display which shows the current position of each axis is also not working.

I have the below name plate detail of the DC servo motor.(All axis motot is of same rating). All servo motor are fitted with brake and resolver/encoder(i really donot know whether its resolver or an encoder as its written in german language).Also manual shows them as options.

Cont.(Stall) Volt - 12VDC
Cont.(Stall) Amp - 40 Amp
Cont.(Stall) Torque - 20 Lb-Ft ( 27 Nm)

Peak Volt - 12 Vdc
Peak Amp - 200 amp
Peak torque - 100 Lb-Ft ( 135 Nm)

We need a drive to control these existing motor plus the display unit.
Our operation is almost manual only.
for example:
X-axis movement:
Operator enters the required distance for the axis to move and then he press start for that axis. it should move to that distance and stop at that position. On return it should return at a faster speed to its origin.

I searced for DC servo drive of 12 Vdc rating. But its all for small motor only and not for the above (Amp)capacity.

Is there any way of getting a drive for this motor or should we have to replace the motor with a new AC servo motor with Servo drive.

Also the peak and stall terms are really confusing with different manufacturers. I searched a lot of Servo motor to match my existing motor. Their defnition of stall and peak terms varied.

Is Inland DC drive / motor still available? I searched for this key word in google and found that it has been took over by Danher controls. But even in their website i could not any drive for our motor.

Any help would be highly helpfull as we need a drive or drive motor to keep this machine working.

Many thanks

Also the peak and stall terms are really confusing with different manufacturers.
Generally, the continuous and peak ratings are both quoted under stall conditions (zero speed) because that is the condition under which the motor can provide its maximum torque. As speed increases, the available torque decreases. The continuous rating is what the motor should be able to provide continuously without damaging itself (overheating). The peak rating can be provided intermittently as long as the RMS value of torque requirements is under the continuous rating.

should we have to replace the motor with a new AC servo motor with Servo drive.
Another generality - for a given rating, AC servos usually have significantly less rotor inertia than DC servos. This means that simply replacing the DC motors with similarly rated AC motors can easily result in a load/motor inertia ratio that makes tuning difficult and likely makes de-tuning necessary. Depending on your speed (motor RPM) requirements, this may be overcome by using an appropriate gearbox. Motor torque requirement is reduced by the gear ratio and reflected load inertia is reduced by the square of the gear ratio, but motor speed requirement is increased by the gear ratio.

Thanks Gerry for your feedback.
The existing DC servo motor is with Gearbox. But the motor nameplate does not show anything about its spead(RPM). Also there is no nameplate on the gearbox and i could not find any data about the gearbox.

Now please let me know whether there are any DC Servo drive for my requirement. If not can you please let me know how i should change this DC servo to any system which would work for another 10 years or so.

Many thanks

DC servo Drive

Is there any DC Servo drive for the below Amp rating:

cont.(Stall) Amp: 40 Amp
Peak Amp : 200 Amp
Voltage : 12 Vdc

can you please let me know the manufacturer name?

thanks

I did a couple of google searches for "heller + milling" and "inland + motor" and got plenty of hits.

I had never heard of Inland Motor but now I know that they were acquired by Kollmorgen in 1960, who were in turn acquired by Danaher in 2000.

we have heller bed type milling machine in excalent working condition model pfv-1000. we can arrange for a elec. engineer for rectification of d.c.drive.