UNIGATE CL Ethernet IP Connectivity Issue

Hal9000

Does anyone have experience setting up a Unigate CL Ethernet IP gateway?

Basically I have a small Modbus RTU RS485 network on the serial side, which consists of three Modbus slaves. The communication settings are 9600, 8N1 and the Modbus slave addresses are 01,02 & 101 (dec). The Ethernet side links to my SCADA running Kepserver OPC server.

Taking Ethernet out of the equation and using Kepserver’s Modbus serial driver, I can successfully poll the Modbus serial data via my RS232/485 serial converter. This proves the Serial side of the gateway is ok.

However, when I connect the CL Ethernet IP gateway (set to transparent mode) and try to poll the data from the Ethernet side (SCADA), I can’t read anything!

My Unigate CL settings are as follows:

Ethernet side
IP: 192.168.1.150
SN: 255.255.255.0

Serial Side
Protocol Type : Transparent (options here to change the protocol type to Modbus Master, Modbus slave, Universal, RK3964)
Baud: 9600
Start: 1
Stop: 1
Parity: none

Fieldbus
Data Mode: Cyclic (options here to change to on-change or trigger)
Fieldbus block size input: 32
Fieldbus block size output: 32
I’ve tried all the combinations I can think of, i.e. ;
  • Changed Protocol type
  • Changed Data mode
  • Swapped my Tx, Rx (and for each combination change)
  • Increased / decreased the Block sizes
The Unigate CL Ethernet IP has status LED’s which flags up a binary code if there are any issues, but the LED’s are all green, suggesting everything is ok.

The Unigate CL Ethernet IP also has "scripting" capabilities, however the supplier thinks I don’t need to add any additional scripts because my application is very simple.

I have tried to contact the supplier with regard to this issue, but have had no response as yet (they may contact me on Monday).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My general approach - sniff the serial line while the Unigate is communicating (well, at least while you expect it to be communicating). This cuts the problem in half - if there is no serial traffic, its upstream of the Unigate or the Unigate itself. If there is serial traffic, you have to analyze it to see if the Modbus requests are correct and you know it is a serial issue. This assumes you can do serial sniffing, of course.

Hi Minet,

It's been a while... My issue was Kepware wasn't set to Ethernet IP (Allen Bradley protocol). In the end I got it going with a simple .acd program that I developed (see attached) and downloaded to a 1769-L32E processor. This is a CompactLogix example. I've also attached the .gwc file needed for the CL gateway. Comms worked fine after that.

On a side note, I'm currently in the process of applying for an Oz visa. Hoping to get work as a PLC / SCADA eng. What are the prospects like out there?

Cheers,

Justin

"On a side note, I'm currently in the process of applying for an Oz visa. Hoping to get work as a PLC / SCADA eng. What are the prospects like out there?

Cheers,"

Not certain we want you here HAL9000
- 2001 a space odessy - not good

You might cause our machinery to go haywire

(y)

no dont do that
at least the company you work for will know they will make it to jupiter first.