TwinCat PLC Remote Connection

gouch

Hello,

I want to setup a customers application on a PC in my workshop so I can simulate it. I have a Desktop PC in my workshop which I installed the Twincat software (V2.9.0)on. I have the soft PLC running on this PC and can go online.

I want to be able to edit the plc program from my laptop. I also have twincat installed on this. When I open the system manager, I go to choose target, Search, Broadcast search and I can see the Desktop PC. When I select add route, I am asked for a username and password. I get an error, ads error1823:device aborted the action.

I have tried the administrator username/password of the pc. Is it looking for a PC password or a twincat password.

Thanks for your help with this.

Also make sure the username and password you are using has administrator rights. The username is a username and password on the PC running the TwinCAT run time.

It needs admin rights because it will write the AMS router entries in the registry.

I created a new user account, username:twincat and password twincat and gave it administartor privledges. I then installed the twincat software logged in as the twincat user. I can remote desktop into the PC using the password and usewrname.

I manually put in the local computer ams net id in the ams router tab in the twincat system properties.

It was 0.0.0.0.0.0, now it is ip address.1.1

go to the Registry editor (regedit.exe) and check under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Beckhoff\TwinCAT\Remote

to see if the route entries are on both PCs

Thanks Archie. I did try and manually setup the route in the AMS router tab. It still did not work.

I then installed the twincat software on another PC and manually setup the AMS router. Worked first time. I have since reinstalled windows xp on my original PC and reinstalled twincat. I have not got a chance to setup the router tab yet but I expect it to work now.

On the other PC which I have the soft plc running on, when I stop the system and restart it, U get an error: boot file not found. When I login to the plc and transfer down the project, I then select project - create boot file? (not in front of it now so it might be named different).

Then Logout, stop twincat system, start twincat system and the error appears. Any ideas on this.

On the other PC which I have the soft plc running on, when I stop the system and restart it, U get an error: boot file not found. When I login to the plc and transfer down the project, I then select project - create boot file? (not in front of it now so it might be named different).

Then Logout, stop twincat system, start twincat system and the error appears. Any ideas on this.
If you are creating the boot project and still get the error, the only other thing I can think of might be that more than 1 run time is enabled.

On the TwinCAT Properties page, go to the PLC tab and make sure Number of Run-Time Systems is set to 1

Thanks Archie,

Runtime systems was set to 1. In the PLC tab of the twincat system properties, No. 1 was ticked for the boot project and for the Load/store retain data. I deselected the Load/store tab and the system will stop and start now with no problems. Would this be expected?

I now have a soft PLC that I can start/stop and restart. I can upload the program from my remote PC and Login and the PLC is in run mode.

I have added a new ladder routine in the PLC. I called it from another routine. The routine name is not greyed out so it should be getting executed I think. I created 2 bools, Test_In: BOOL; and Test_Out: BOOL;.

I paralled a NO and a NC of Test_In at the start of the rung and put an output at the end Test_Out. The output should have come on but it didnt change. I can force the values usinf ctrl F7. The PLC does not seem to be executing the code.

In the System manager, I disabled all the IO nodes. I have a profibus card in the PC and I will connect up a new node to this for testing. I have the node and IO but do not yet have the KL9010 terminator which I think I need for the configuration to be correct.

Is it expected that the plc would be in run mode but that the program would not be executing?

Thanks for your help so far!