Using 1769 I/O via Ethernet with ControlLogix controller

johny-rock

Hi everyone,

I have an existing system controlled by a L35E with 1769 IO cards.

My plan is to upgrade logic to a ControlLogix L73 but keeping all IO wired to the existing panel, only the new PLC will be installed elsewhere.
I was thinking of using Produced/Consumed tags between the two but I will still need logic on the L35E side ...

My question is : Is there a way to directly use 1769 IOs with a remote ControlLogix CPU with Ethernet ? (Even using 3rd party but I don't want to used DeviceNet ..)

And lastly, I will need to change tags references on a PanelView HMI to point the new cpu. Is there a way to quickly convert ? Just updating the topic is enough ?

Thanks,

Devicenet is the only way to do it directly or you can retain simple logic in the 1769 controllers that is controller from the L7X processor this is the only way.

Converting you 1769 IO to point or 1756 would be the most professional way to do it.

1768-ENBT is not like a 1756 ENBT so you still can not master the 1769 IO directly.

The 1768-ENBT is just designed for compact logix systems thst need more ethernet connection than the old L3X port built into the processor could provide.

Thanks for your replies,

Keep in mind that my goal is to switch over L7x PLC in a very short time window. Thus excluding any IO re-wiring solution ..

For better or for worse, the only I/O Adapter for the 1769 platform is the 1769-ADN DeviceNet adapters. There are no adapters for ControlNet or EtherNet/IP.

The good news is that the conversion of the FactoryTalk application is trivial; just re-define the RSLinx Enterprise Shortcut to point to the L73 controller.